Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My dog has congestive heart failure and he's been eating a combination of Wellness Small Breed Senior, The Honest Kitchen, and homemade food. As he is on the advanced end of the disease, his appetite has started to wane just a little. He prefers wet food, the cooked food I make for him, and over the last few days he's been picking around the kibble, which he has never done before. My husband may be in denial, as he thinks Harley is just tired of the kibble, and he thinks the pickiness is unrelated to the heart disease. Our cardiologist told me on Monday that the end is near when Harley stops wanting to eat and I'm concerned we are nearing that mark in our journey based on his pickiness. I'm learning it's very easy to get caught in the small details and analyze them until you drive yourself crazy.

(Side note: Harley has basically been a voracious eater all his life and will eat anything, even going as far as trying to steal from his brother at meal time.)

My question is twofold: Are there any low sodium kibbles that your dog has tried and liked, and/or should I even bother at this point in trying a new kibble and just stick with The Honest Kitchen and homemade food, since it's what he's actively eating?

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read and offer advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the input. I decided to pull him off the kibble and I cooked him a big batch of chicken stew yesterday. He seems to eat it with enthusiasm, and that's what counts at this point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts