Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have allergies to all pets including birds, but I would love a puppy. I was recommended today by another lady with severe allergies to look into a Cockapoo, which she has and she says it was the only breed she was not allergic to. I think they are gorgeous but I don't know if they have too much energy for me or not.

I realise I may never find one which I can live with but I want to try!

Anyway, I was wondering if I listed my likes/needs/dislikes, if people could make suggestions and then I will go and spend time with the breeds and see if I am allergic and do research before buying? Thank you in advance.

The breed would have to:

• Be as hypoallergic and low shedding as possible.
  • Be happy to live in a flat with access to a carpark and to go on short walks most days. I would also take it to play on the beach when possible. However as I have chronic illnesses I can probably only managed 0.5 - 1 miles walking a day, on a really bad day it may only manage a run around the garden/carpark. I live with my Mum and sister who would be willing to help out if I was having a bad health day though. My Mum walks often so it may get some long walks here and there, but basically needs to be low energy. I should add that no animal would suffer in my care and I would get help if needed to care for the animal. But I am unlikely to need it.
  • My Mum owns all the flats in the house so it would have to not be a huge barker and annoy the tennants. I am not expecting it not to bark obviously, but it couldnt be a husky for example!
  • I am happy to spend as long as necessary grooming/brushing it and whatever it needs. I can and am willing to devote time to its care, it is just not possible for me to go on huge walks/running with it!
  • I want it to be very loveable and enjoy cuddles.
  • Id want it to be intelligent, in fact the more intelligent the better, but not too intelligent that it is bored with the type of home I could offer it.
  • It obviously would not be able to be big due to the living situations. Either toy/miniature or even a small medium-sized dog.
  • I have no interest in style or fashion and have no need to buy a fashionable designer dog. Unless that is what was best suited for me.
  • A dog that is pretty easy to train would be a bonus.
  • Also one that is reasonable easy to get hold of and does not cost a fortune.
  • One that doesn't slobber too much would be a bonus as I believe that people can be allergic to saliva too.
  • This dog would not be shown, do dog agility, or made to enter any kind of competitions. It does not need to be a pedigree.
  • I would like an animal that hasn't been inbred too much and doesn't suffer from too many illnesses and faults of inbreeding like Bull Dogs for example. I don't want to contibute to an animals suffering.
  • It would not have to get on with other animals. My family does have owls in aviaries in the garden, so it would see those, but thats it really. It would have to get on with the adults it is living with.
Does anyone know anything about Cockapoos and whether they would be a good option to look into? I am aware that Cocker spaniels are not hypoallergenic so I didnt know whether the Cockapoos would be entirely? Or whether it was hit or miss.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Laura
~X~

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Not much experience with Cockapoos. Never been too fond of them honestly.

Chinese crested fits the bill really well. There are tons available in rescues, too, if you're willing to go that route. If you don't like the hairless look they come in a fully-furred variety that is still low-shed and low-allergy.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
People are allergic to dander and all dogs produce some dander, even the "hypoallergenic" breeds
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I love shih tzus for a small breed, though they can be a little hard to potty train. I don't know if they are less likely to bother your allergies, but they are sweet little dogs. Check up on their health problems, as they can have several.

·
Registered
843 Posts
cockapoo is NOT a breed. it is a mix. it sheds and it doesnt, all dependson the dog. its a gamble.

I say look for a older 4 or 5 year old toy poodle in rescue.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You could consider a Maltese, they sound to be the exact temperament you are looking for. You could see if any breeders had older dogs needing a retirement home. I own two and have never noticed them shed at all, at any season of the year (I'm in Canada with very hot summers and very cold winters!) My bf is allergic to pet dander and doesn't have any issues with them either. Whereas our cat and our rats make him sneeze like crazy.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
First thing that came to mind was a Bichon Frise
They are somewhat prone to cancer and liver problems tho...
They do need regular grooming but are happy with playtime/small walks
They aren't big barkers. They can be very intelligent and are typically happy
and affectionate but are still capable of being independant. Not sure if they are
readily available or how costly they would be?

Cocker spaniel / Poodle mixes have probably been around the longest (as far as purposeful mixed breed companion dogs go) but still don't always "breed true"....even after decades of trying so unless you're looking at an adult, I don't think you really know exactly what you're going to get. I personally love them. I think they are awesome little dogs! I'm not positive but I think they would be easily found on petfinder and other rescue sites. All the Cock-a-poos I've been exposed to for the last 30+ yrs have been great family dogs. I don't recall them being too high energy.

Not sure if you're interested in them but I love love love Cairin Terriers!!!
They shed very little and are relitively healthy. I do think they are fairly active tho
and require daily brushing. I am not sure, they could lean towards the yappy side and be a little high strung...
I think we have some CT owners on the forum, maybe they can offer some advice.

I wish you all the best in your search for a suitable companion.
Your plan seems well thought out and I hope you find a little one to share your life with. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm going to try and reply to all of you in one post.

Cali - Cresties seem to suit the bill perfectly and I'll add them to my list. I have looked online for a suitable local rescue but I can't seem to find one. I also like the idea of training a puppy and at the moment I have the time.

pawzaddict - I know about the dander, that is why I was looking for very low shedding dogs, which equal less dander, which hopefully I can tolerate, but maybe not, who knows.

juliemule - Thanks, Shi Tzus are low shedding, fit the bill for what I want, and are worth trying to see if I'm allergic, I'll add them to the list.

tankstar - I know a Cockpoo is a hybrid and not a breed. I was basically asking whether they are all low shedding or if it is hit and miss because the Cocker Spaniel is high shedding. Also I wanted to know if they are generally too active for living in a flat and not getting hugely long walks. Thank you for your suggestion about a poodle. They definitely seem to tick all the boxes, only problem is there doesn't seem to be any local rescue centres that have one online. They all seem to be staffies and big dogs. I also like the idea of training a puppy and at the moment I have the time, although I know it will be hard work.

emaleigh - A maltese, definitely fits the description too, and I will add them to my list. I will consider older dogs too and see if I can find a breeder to let me play with them and find out if I'm allergic or not. I like the idea of training a puppy and at the moment I have the time, although I know it will be hard work, but I will consider a slightly older dog. I don't want a dog that is too old though because I will get attached and it will die far too soon.

Thanks again everyone for your help! i really appreciate it!

Laura
~X~

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First thing that came to mind was a Bichon Frise
They are somewhat prone to cancer and liver problems tho...
They do need regular grooming but are happy with playtime/small walks
They aren't big barkers. They can be very intelligent and are typically happy
and affectionate but are still capable of being independant. Not sure if they are
readily available or how costly they would be?

Cocker spaniel / Poodle mixes have probably been around the longest (as far as purposeful mixed breed companion dogs go) but still don't always "breed true"....even after decades of trying so unless you're looking at an adult, I don't think you really know exactly what you're going to get. I personally love them. I think they are awesome little dogs! I'm not positive but I think they would be easily found on petfinder and other rescue sites. All the Cock-a-poos I've been exposed to for the last 30+ yrs have been great family dogs. I don't recall them being too high energy.

Not sure if you're interested in them but I love love love Cairin Terriers!!!
They shed very little and are relitively healthy. I do think they are fairly active tho
and require daily brushing. I am not sure, they could lean towards the yappy side and be a little high strung...
I think we have some CT owners on the forum, maybe they can offer some advice.

I wish you all the best in your search for a suitable companion.
Your plan seems well thought out and I hope you find a little one to share your life with. :)

Thank you! Bichon Frises seem to fit the bill and I'll definitely add them to the list.

I will keep an eye out for cockapoo adults but bear in mind that a puppy would be too risky as I wouldnt be able to tell if it will be a shedder or not!

Tha Carin Terriers are moderate shedders it seems so probably will be allergic, unfortunately, because they are adorable!

Thanks again and for your wishes that I am lucky in finding one!

Laura
~X~

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
im sorry, but if you are as allergic as you say... going out and buying a puppy is not a good idea. you first need to go somewhere with these breeds of dogs and see for yourself what kind of allergic reactions you are having. then get with a doctor and get on medications. then go back again and see how it is. and repeat. its not fair to a dog or puppy for you to say "well i dont know if i will be allergic to you, but im going to buy you anyway and then find out." sorry.. no... not right. there are a lot of dogs in shelters because people were "allergic" to them. not all were, but there are a lot there for that reason. think about whats fair to the dog before you make a decision thats, to me, a bit selfish.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Ditto GDM, what happens if the less dander doesn't mean less reaction for you? That is not fair to the dog when you have to get rid of it
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
369 Posts
I used to work for a family that had a son allergic to many things (including dogs). They got a havanese and he worked out great. Might be worth looking into as well, I have heard they are good for people with allergies.

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with GDM and Pawz on this...

While the breeds recommended often work for people with mild allergies, you need to figure out if they will work for you.

Spend a lot time with these types of dogs to see what symptoms and how severe your reaction is.

Also figure out now if you are willing to use meds to control you allergies.
If you are not willing to take allergy meds every day for 10+ years, then a dog is not the right pet for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im sorry, but if you are as allergic as you say... going out and buying a puppy is not a good idea. you first need to go somewhere with these breeds of dogs and see for yourself what kind of allergic reactions you are having. then get with a doctor and get on medications. then go back again and see how it is. and repeat. its not fair to a dog or puppy for you to say "well i dont know if i will be allergic to you, but im going to buy you anyway and then find out." sorry.. no... not right. there are a lot of dogs in shelters because people were "allergic" to them. not all were, but there are a lot there for that reason. think about whats fair to the dog before you make a decision thats, to me, a bit selfish.

I am sorry but you have been rude after completeley misreading what I have said. If I have made a typo which was misleading then I appologise. But, what I said was I am finding breeds which are possibilities, then I will spend some time with them and if I find one which I am not allergic to, then I will research it before buying. I had no intention of buying something if I was not certain and I think I made that pretty clear!

Laura

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ditto GDM, what happens if the less dander doesn't mean less reaction for you? That is not fair to the dog when you have to get rid of it
Posted via Mobile Device
I sent this message to the others who have misread what I have said too. I am sorry but you have been rude after completeley misreading what I have said. If I have made a typo which was misleading then I appologise. But, what I said was I am finding breeds which are possibilities, then I will spend some time with them and if I find one which I am not allergic to, then I will research it before buying. I had no intention of buying something if I was not certain and I think I made that pretty clear!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I didn't see it as rude...just matter of fact, so many people give up dogs because they have allergies that develop or they felt they could deal with. We just have a genuine concern when som'one with bad allergies wants a dog. Thanks all :)

Honestly, your going to have to go out, find these breeds and literally interact with them and see if you react. I think determining which breeds you dont react too is going to be your first step before any of your other criteria.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Neither myself nor GreatDaneMom were rude....

^ditto you need to first find out if you can be around any dog without reacting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to have to agree with GDM and Pawz on this...

While the breeds recommended often work for people with mild allergies, you need to figure out if they will work for you.

Spend a lot time with these types of dogs to see what symptoms and how severe your reaction is.

Also figure out now if you are willing to use meds to control you allergies.
If you are not willing to take allergy meds every day for 10+ years, then a dog is not the right pet for you.
I sent the same message to everyone who mnisread what I wrote. I am sorry but you have been rude after completeley misreading what I have said. If I have made a typo which was misleading then I appologise. But, what I said was I am finding breeds which are possibilities, then I will spend some time with them and if I find one which I am not allergic to, then I will research it before buying. I had no intention of buying something if I was not certain and I think I made that pretty clear!

Further, I am already on allergy medication and will be for life, unless they have a new breakthrough. I was an year round antihistamines and nasal steroids and for the last year have been on daily immunotherapy vaccinations, which have made my life a lot easier. I can vaccinate myself against a dog as well as everything else, but it will not compeletely solve the problem. I realise it is a long shot that I wont be allergic, but as I said I want to find possible suitable breeds, spend time with them, and find out. Nowhere did I say anything about buying and trying.

Laura

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I used to work for a family that had a son allergic to many things (including dogs). They got a havanese and he worked out great. Might be worth looking into as well, I have heard they are good for people with allergies.
Thanks Barb, very helpful another to add to my list of possibilities!

Laura
~X~

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.