Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chili is 14 weeks (Maltipoo) and has been sleeping without issue in his crate at night since 8 week (10pm-6am) since my husband works from home he normally has him in his playpen area during the day or with him in the office and we've now removed the puppy pads and he never has accidents when were home, my concern is I think he should be able to hold it for atleast 3 hrs at this age but I'm guessing it would be only in the crate?

We have not really crated him during the day since he seems to hate it and cries and barks for awhile, he'll go into it no problem but only likes with the door open, how do you suggest we start getting him ok with it during the day? I've tried feeding, treats and crate games ect, do we just need to put him in and let him whine it out for awhile? I don't want him to start hating it at night so I've been holding off but I feel like the older he gets the harder it will be
Thanks

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Crating day and night is a lot if it's not necessary why do it. If the dog is house broken why not leave him in the pen where he can move around during the day. If he is being take out every 3 hours there should not be and accident.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, He's not house broken yet and I don't want to crate him during the day and don't plan to often but my husband sometimes travels so he would need to be in either the playpen or crate for 3 hrs before the walker comes in when I'm at work, I think he could hold it in the crate for 3 hrs but don't think he would in the playpen and didn't think it was fair to just randomly crate him vs have him used to it first?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
How big is the play pen? Dogs don't like to mess in their home. I'd guess at 14 weeks she probably considers the play pen just another large crate.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks, He's not house broken yet and I don't want to crate him during the day and don't plan to often but my husband sometimes travels so he would need to be in either the playpen or crate for 3 hrs before the walker comes in when I'm at work, I think he could hold it in the crate for 3 hrs but don't think he would in the playpen and didn't think it was fair to just randomly crate him vs have him used to it first?
Has he had any accidents while he was in the playpen?

I would start feeding him in there, and get him some sort of treat dispensing toy. + add a bunch of his toys in there and a bed. As long as the pen isn't too large he should think of it as a den like area and be fine for 3 hours or so.

I did something similar (still do) although I left him a pee pad in there for the first few months (he would go 4-5 hours in the pen at a time, not 3) he very quickly did not want to pee in his pen. After he went 2 days in a row with dry pee pads, I took them out and he's never had an accident in there. I think we stopped with the pads when he was about 3 months old. His pen is 3'x3', and he's a small pup - 9lbs @ 7 months old, was 3-4lbs @ 3 months.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's had a few accidents but maybe 3 or 4 since we got him so over 6 weeks. We pulled the pads out after he was ripping them apart and eating them, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have you tried covering the crate with a sheet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.