Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know what my girl is mixed with so I can understand some of the things she does. She's a SNIFFER and loves to run a squirrel!!!! She has a wonderful temperament, but is a little skittish. Any guesses?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's a pretty girl! Beyond that I don't have a guess...get a DNA test if you're curious. It's really the only way to tell.
Thanks for the response, and yeah I may have to get the DNA test done because "curiosity is killing the cat".

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks for the response, and yeah I may have to get the DNA test done because "curiosity is killing the cat".
Just be aware that DNA tests are notoriously unreliable, so you may not get the right answer there, although there's no harm in trying if you want to.

I would only have to make guesses as to your dog, and they could be completely off the mark. but she's pretty, and if you love her that's all that matters!
As for the sniffing and chasing, those are prey drive traits that many, many dogs have, so that doesn't really tell you anything either. Heck, my white fluffy dog has his nose to the ground all the time and loves to chase things, so it doesn't even mean the dog has hunting dog in him. Sometimes you just don't know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just be aware that DNA tests are notoriously unreliable, so you may not get the right answer there, although there's no harm in trying if you want to.

I would only have to make guesses as to your dog, and they could be completely off the mark. but she's pretty, and if you love her that's all that matters!
As for the sniffing and chasing, those are prey drive traits that many, many dogs have, so that doesn't really tell you anything either. Heck, my white fluffy dog has his nose to the ground all the time and loves to chase things, so it doesn't even mean the dog has hunting dog in him. Sometimes you just don't know.
Thanks for responding! I've had quite a few dogs before and I know they love to sniff, but she takes it to the EXTREME. I've never had a dog that won't let me get into my clothes before she sniffs every piece or have had to go through a customs sniff down before I can get back in my own house. LOL. I literally think she missed her calling to be a sniffer dog.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks for responding! I've had quite a few dogs before and I know they love to sniff, but she takes it to the EXTREME. I've never had a dog that won't let me get into my clothes before she sniffs every piece or have had to go through a customs sniff down before I can get back in my own house. LOL. I literally think she missed her calling to be a sniffer dog.
Do some research and find out if there are scent work classes in your area. It's a dog sport that most dogs love, and your dog would have a blast and be very good at it. You can even compete in scent work for titles. Basically, they teach you how to train your dog to alert to a certain scent, and then you put that scent under a box, with a lot of other identical boxes around, and your dog has to find that box and alert to the scent. Then you train on another scent the same way.

It's not something you can really do on your own, though, because the scents have to be pure and be meticulously kept that way in order for the dog to learn to distinguish it from millions of other smells. I think you and your dog would have such fun with it!

I love the "customs dog" image. My dog is that way when I come home after seeing other dogs. I have learned to take off my jeans just inside the door and put them on the floor for him to sniff so he doesn't have to glue his nose to my leg and follow me around for 15 minutes to get it all. 😄 😄

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm going to guess some sort of hound mix maybe even some pitbull in him the way his chest is built. I'm just saying this because I got my dog from the shelter and it looks similar to yours and was just told mine is a hound mix/pitbull. Mine also sniffs like crazy. His nose is always to the ground when we go out for walks/hikes. But your dog seems to have fluffier fur than mine. I'm sure yours has other breeds in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wow, not the slighest idea... I usually have a guess for something but she appears to have a lot of mixes in her....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts