Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am new to the forum. Its nice to meet you all, and thanks in advance!

So here is my situation. I rescued a dog who's entire body was covered in demodex about a year ago. His skin was a complete mess. It was so full of the mange and infection that you could smell it across the room. Anyways, now here we are a year later. His skin is healed and he is demodex free. However, He still has very thin fur on the top half of his body and no fur on the lower half, and i mean so thin you can clearly see his skin. So either a.) his skin was so damaged that it can't grow hair or b.) he is part xoloitzcuintli (mexican hairless). He looks just like a xolo only blonde, so thats why i mention it. Either way his skin is clear and healthy just naked.

Now I know with hairless breeds you have to lotion them after baths and when their skin gets dry. But because my dog some hair, albeit scare, should I lotion him too? He does has dry skin that seems to itch him.

Any input is appreciated, and I will attach his photo if anyone wants to throw out a guess as to what he is!

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lotion is fine on a dog, especially a hairless one. Sunblock is OK too -- in fact, they can get sunburnt too. However, your dog will probably try to lick it off because even if it's "unscented" it's still scented with something unfamiliar. You might want to try something natural like olive oil (very sparingly) -- which I use on my own skin from time to time. And if he licks it off and eats it, it's natural and basically ok for consumption. Don't use too much or he might get diarrhea or vomit.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
maybe try to see whether you can get in touch with a Chinese Crested or Xolo clubs or rescues nearby or online, they probably could give you a list of products that are safe to use. I suspect that it would be good for his fragile skin to get a little help but I would be worried about putting anything on that can be harmful when ingested. He could lick it off

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Aloe is mildly toxic if they do lick it and had a dog with a bad allergic reaction to it before so would avoid. But a basic lotion may be fine.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
I'm going to second the coconut oil. Lotion can clog pores and actually give you issues with acne, blackheads, etc. (Very common in xolos and cresties) The coconut oil is natural, won't hurt him if he licks it off, and will do the job. If he's got very dry skin, looking to his nutrition may be in order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts