Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took my dog for a walk. It was all well and good until I come across a group of boys with a dog that isn't theirs. Somehow this dog (intact male, Labrador pit bull mix) got away from his owner. These boys give him to me, saying they know the owner and will go get him. I don't think anything of it, clip my dog's leash to this dog's collar and tie him up to wait. Now, the reason I took the leash off my own dog to put on him is because my dog is very well trained and will listen to me even with a strange dog around and a ton of people walking. I trust her to not take off and I don't want this other dog to run off and get hit by a car or get picked up by someone looking to use him for a dog fight.

Anyway, this dog doesn't have a tag on his collar or a tattoo. But he's well fed, has a shaved part on his leg from an IV, and is friendly albeit scared. So obviously somebody loves him. I wait there for awhile, just sitting outside a convenience store with two dogs, a ball thrower, and one leash. Waiting for this guy's owner. My sister, who works in the convenience store, comes out every once in awhile to give the dog a treat and talk to me. I don't know how long I waited out there but nobody showed up for this dog.

My sister calls our dad and he comes. We stand there for at least another hour doing nothing (I just wanted to take the poor guy to our home for the night) and eventually my dad allows it. His truck is always an absolute mess so he only had room in the front seat. But obviously two dogs and a person are not going to fit in the passenger seat. So he took our dog and I was going to walk the lost one home.

This dog (who I named Buddy since I didn't know his name) walked really nicely. Someone took the time to train him to some degree. When I get home, I tell my dad to lock up our cats, as we don't know if this dog will want to kill them and I certainly didn't want to take that chance. I love my cats. Anyway, we have a kennel in the shed. It was my dog's but as she grew up she got housetrained and more trustworthy so it's been sitting in our shed for years. I tell dad we should take it in to put Buddy in it. My mom has been waiting for years to put a new floor in the living room and she's finally able to do it so there's no way we were just letting him loose.

We set up the kennel (which he fits in thank goodness) and I give him some food, water, and one of my dog's toys. I choose her old tug o war rope. She has a new one so Buddy can have the old on. We let our cats out again and, of course, my kitten isn't scared of him at all. She's a bold little cat. She smells him through the kennel and he smells her. It's all good. Buddy doesn't really do anything. Then my old fifteen year old cat comes. She hisses at him even though he's not doing anything. She's kind of a grouch but a big lovebug. Just not for dogs.

He was obviously not used to being kennelled because he started barking and whining and pawing at the cage. When we ignored him long enough he'd settle down but the second you gave him any sort of attention it all started up again. My mom comes home from work, as does my sister. This gets him going again. I take him and the kennel to my room for the night.

Everybody goes to bed and he starts barking. It's a really high pitched bark because he's scared and anxious. If I let him out, he wants to cuddle but I'm tired and I'm not letting a dog I don't know very well out all night without any supervision. I don't know if he's housebroken or if he'll destroy my room. So he stays in the kennel. I try everything to get him to be quiet. I cover the kennel with a blanket, turn off the lights and leave. I try squirting him with a water bottle (made me feel terrible but I didn't know what else to do), I tried turning on a fan. I tried everything I could think of besides hitting him. There was no way I was going to hit him. He was such a sweetheart and was just scared. I felt terrible doing anything, even squirting him with water. He finally fell asleep around 2:30 am, maybe later. I think he just exhausted himself. Poor guy.

I fell asleep awhile after he did, only to wake up at 5 am. I let him outside so he could do his business, which he didn't, and put him back in the kennel. He starts crying again but this time he doesn't fall asleep. I feel bad for him but I'm also starting to get a headache at this point. My parents get up about an hour later and start their day. I stay in the room with him and just scroll through the internet. He ends up peeing and pooping in his kennel, which I clean up.

Afterwards I have a shower and, when I get out, he had pooped all over his kennel again. But he had diarrhea so you can guess how the kennel looked. My floor was also covered in poopy dog prints. Yay. My mom cleans it up this time while I hold on to Buddy. After it's cleaned up I decide to try and sleep a bit more because I was so tired. Even on the opposite end of the house with ear plugs, the door closed and three blankets layered over my ears I can still hear him crying. It's heartbreaking but there isn't much we can do.

I know by now you're wondering why we didn't just take him to the animal shelter. Well let me tell you. The animal shelter in our town is a straight up *******. Excuse the language please. But they're closed on Sunday and Monday. He was found on a Sunday. And they open at 1 pm on every other day of the week and close at 4 pm on every other day of the week. So they're open for three hours a day five days a week which already sucks. But then they refuse to do anything for any animal unless they're already open. So you can't call their so called emergency number if they aren't open. So we had no way of taking him to the shelter.

We called the vet's office because he did have a place for an IV on his leg so we thought maybe they'll know something. Nope. Nothing. He's never been there before. Which tells us that he probably isn't from our town. We posted him on Facebook the day we found him and haven't had any hits at all there. My mom manages to call this animal control person who actually answered (unlike the shelter) and he comes to pick Buddy up. So Buddy's gone now. I hope he manages to get back to his owner or, at the very least, goes to a nice new home.

My mom says no more bringing lost dogs home. But I feel like I still would. I mean they could easily get hit by a car or get taken by someone who has only bad intentions. How can I leave them out there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My mom says no more bringing lost dogs home. But I feel like I still would. I mean they could easily get hit by a car or get taken by someone who has only bad intentions. How can I leave them out there?
I agree with your mom; you can't save the world. But you can call animal rescue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with your mom; you can't save the world. But you can call animal rescue.
Yeah. I would call but the animal shelter here doesn't care as much as they say they do, as I mentioned before. And I have no idea how my mom even got a hold of that animal rescue person, as I've never heard of them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would have done what you did, except calling animal control, unless I knew it was a good place that didn't put dogs down. Yes, it can cause a lot of frustration, but they need the help. He was probably sick because of anxiety, nervousness, uncertainty, etc. A lot of the foster dogs I get are like that for the first few days. They don't know what's going on, they're just in an unknown situation, with an unknown future, around strangers in a place that is not known to them. Plenty of reason for causing anxiety.

Hopefully this people find him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have done what you did, except calling animal control, unless I knew it was a good place that didn't put dogs down. Yes, it can cause a lot of frustration, but they need the help. He was probably sick because of anxiety, nervousness, uncertainty, etc. A lot of the foster dogs I get are like that for the first few days. They don't know what's going on, they're just in an unknown situation, with an unknown future, around strangers in a place that is not known to them. Plenty of reason for causing anxiety.

Hopefully this people find him.
Yeah I hope they do too. I haven't heard anything else about him so I hope he manages to either get back home or get to a nice new home. There are so many more lost dogs around and I just want to go and bring them home. But my parents would get angry at me so I can't. It really sucks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lost dog

Hi. It sounds like you did everything above and beyond. That pooch was blessed he landed with you for the interim. You were his angel. I would be content with that. I understand the heartbreak. Makes me sad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts