Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Stella has always been a very tolerant, sweet girl who enjoys the company of other dogs. Lately I've noticed she seems to lose patience easier. I have noticed for a while that she just flat out doesn't like puppies approaching her, even if they're being good. She has started over-correcting other dogs, and will correct puppies (and some adult dogs) that are being polite, or being kind of shy (like submissive kisses). If she gets like that with other dogs when they're not being obnoxious and deserving of it, I'll typically remove her (and I've started telling people with puppies she doesn't like them much). But I don't really know why this has started happening. She's also started being more growly with Tyrion, and getting a bit crazy growling and jumping at him if he flails in our arms if something scares him.

Granted, she spends a lot of time in daycare and I'm unaware of how she gets along with them but I'm typically told she plays with other dogs and enjoys herself. Once or twice I've been told she wanted to be left alone, but I don't know. Maybe she's just more selective about playmates as she matures? I know she's more comfortable with dogs the same size or smaller, and hates it when she gets body slammed by rough dogs. She DOES still play with Tyrion and some other dogs she meets, but she's not as open for monkey business as she was before. I'm guessing that might be the ACD part of her.

I mean honestly, if she doesn't like going to the dog park much anymore, we just won't go. But I'm wondering if this is normal and just hoping it doesn't escalate or anything. Opinions?

·
Banned
275 Posts
How old is Stella? If she's just entered true adulthood, I can see how she'd be less "happy-go-lucky" than she was when she was still a puppy. If she's getting older (as in senior years), it could be that she's got some aches and pains (even if they aren't that evident to you) that make her less tolerant of another dog she thinks might get too boisterous or rough and hurt her.

I'm less tolerant of people the older I get, so I understand, LOL!

On a side note, I love that you have a dog named Tyrion! :)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Gretchenpc Stella just had her first birthday this September, so I would say she's in that "coming into her own" stage. Since she's also a herding mix I know they can start getting frustrated and have little tolerance for rowdiness as well, so that might affect it. I just hope she doesn't become a bully but I'm moreso concerned she might not be happy in daycare, which I sometimes have to do so she can get energy out on rainy days or when I'm working long hours. I don't want to put her in situations where she's unhappy. I'm going to ask the daycare people more about her behavior next time I stop by the store.

And thanks, we love Tyrion's name. :) My mom named him, we're both big GoT fans. It suits him because he's small, blond, feisty, and has bad knees! He even has a little ID tag with the Lannister lion.

Reactions: Gretchenpc

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I've noticed a HUGE difference in Levi's attitude since he's turned one. He used to go crazy about other dogs. Now he just wants to play with Heidi and his ball. He will occasionally still wrestle with close buddies, but very rarely.
He still tolerates quite a bit of rude, pushy behaviour, but I notice when he reaches his breaking point he is definitely willing to dole out a correction or two.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd be looking towards what's happening in the day-care... the people working there may not want to alert you to a problem (especially if it is another client's dog) or they may be diminishing the issue -- or may not even be aware of a problem, if they are not watching them every minute. If you had said Stella was much older, then I'd look towards a medical issue -- she may be in pain but not enough to yelp out when touched; maybe more like a dull-ache that just makes her cranky -- like a tooth ache. Can't hurt to tell this to her vet when she goes in for a check-up. good luck!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you had said Stella was much older, then I'd look towards a medical issue -- she may be in pain but not enough to yelp out when touched; maybe more like a dull-ache that just makes her cranky -- like a tooth ache. Can't hurt to tell this to her vet when she goes in for a check-up. good luck!
Unfortunately she just did get diagnosed with luxating patellas. However, any weak knees wouldn't affect her behavior toward another dog approaching her and smelling her neck or a shy pup lowering herself and trying to lick Stella's face would it? If it was just the body slamming I would agree it might be her knees, but they're clearly feeling good enough for her to play several games of fetch and chase every day so...I don't think this is really a health issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Unfortunately she just did get diagnosed with luxating patellas. However, any weak knees wouldn't affect her behavior toward another dog approaching her and smelling her neck or a shy pup lowering herself and trying to lick Stella's face would it? If it was just the body slamming I would agree it might be her knees, but they're clearly feeling good enough for her to play several games of fetch and chase every day so...I don't think this is really a health issue.
I was thinking just the being in some degree of pain may cause her to be cranky. Depending on the severity of the knee issue, it could be causing a dull ache much of the day and like us, can cause bad moods, even if another dog has not physically hurt her. Knee pain in people I know can be annoying -- I would presume a dog being on its feet all day may feel similarly -- and being encouraged to play all day with other dogs at the day care -- may be getting her on edge. You have a point that she has the energy for a game of fetch -- so you may be right that it is not health related. Just a thought! Again, I would wonder about the day care -- maybe take her out of it for a month and see if there are any changes -- otherwise she just may be a grumpy dog. lol! good luck!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the input, it is a possibility. I'll just have to see how she does other times and ask more at the daycare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.