Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past few weeks, our dog has stopped showing interest in his food. However, he comes running when he hears us getting his food ready, jumps and spins around all excited when he sees us carrying his bowl to where he eats. When I set it down, he sniffs it, sometimes takes a bite or two, and walks away. We feed him taste of the wild, pacific stream. He's been on this food for several months, and has always loved it. He still shows great interest in his treats, and gobbles them up right away. My assumption is it's not a loss of appetite due to a health issue as he still gets excited about food. But he's the first dog we have owned so I really don't know how to recognize a loss of appetite. Is it possible this last bag of food was just a bad batch?? Or do dogs just get bored of their food...? Any advice or experience would be great! :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
The past few weeks, our dog has stopped showing interest in his food. However, he comes running when he hears us getting his food ready, jumps and spins around all excited when he sees us carrying his bowl to where he eats. When I set it down, he sniffs it, sometimes takes a bite or two, and walks away. We feed him taste of the wild, pacific stream. He's been on this food for several months, and has always loved it. He still shows great interest in his treats, and gobbles them up right away. My assumption is it's not a loss of appetite due to a health issue as he still gets excited about food. But he's the first dog we have owned so I really don't know how to recognize a loss of appetite. Is it possible this last bag of food was just a bad batch?? Or do dogs just get bored of their food...? Any advice or experience would be great! :)
I think your dog was hoping to be getting some of what y'all are eating and was disappointed. LOL Last night, we were having steak for dinner and of course both dogs sat and watched us eat. I've always been amazed that they seem to be able to look smaller and their eyes water while we're eating. Once they realized that they were getting their usual food and not a plate of our food, they took a few bites. LOL We saved them each a bite of steak as a reward but seriously they looked like the most pitiful orphans that ever existed instead of the incredibly spoiled little princes they are. LOL

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
What many people don't realize is that once a bag of kibble is open it starts going stale and if that bag has not been stored properly it can go rancid in as little as two weeks. Because I have a little 13lber I buy kibble in 5lb bags and keep it refrigerated or freeze it (well sealed) Dogs can smell when the food is going bad!
Sometimes it's the food... sometimes it's the dog!
I also should add that fish formulas go rancid faster because of the oil.

GOOGLE: How Long Does Kibble Last/ Dogs Naturally Magazine.........for the article/information

Reactions: KateBren

·
Registered
3 Posts
3 weeks ago ours started doing the same thing. Came for the meal but wouldn't have any of it but the yummiest of treats. Long story short, she has a splenic tumor that has spread to her lungs. Days, maybe weeks to live. Point being, we thought it was behavioral at first, stale food, etc. but after 4 days of it went to the vet. Never assume it is behavioral until you have ruled out a physical problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
We're dealing with a similar situation, but we're certain the food isn't bad. We've tried about a dozen types of kibble, a handful of canned foods, about 10 different plain cooked foods, and of course all of his favorite treats.

He just won't eat. It's been nearly a month now that he's slowed from eating twice/day to once/day to once/week. We've been to 2 vets and are now having a full run of tests done. We've tried breaking up his routine to being super-strict about it. We now have a 55lb dog falling below 46lb. He'll eat a food (any of the above) for about 1-2 meals, then never again.

We're hoping the tests come back with something that's causing him to associate new foods with pain, and that's why he'll eat something for a day or two before stopping. If not, this dog may literally starve himself to death...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
What many people don't realize is that once a bag of kibble is open it starts going stale and if that bag has not been stored properly it can go rancid in as little as two weeks. Because I have a little 13lber I buy kibble in 5lb bags and keep it refrigerated or freeze it (well sealed) Dogs can smell when the food is going bad!

GOOGLE: How Long Does Kibble Last/ Dogs Naturally Magazine.........for the article/information
I agree with this. It would be like you trying to eat a box of stale cereal. Maybe try buying smaller bags, or use one TOTW's different proteins. You can rotate them to keep the dog interested should he start to get bored with it.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts

Agreed. I store my dogs food in a plastic container and I was it between each bag. I wash the scoop and the container. I wash her bowl daily.

Also, I recently switched her food from Wellness CORE to Earthborn Holistics and she LOVES her new food. You could try changing proteins or changing brands until you find one that she likes. Many companies will give free samples for you to try if you write to them.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Anytime a dog is losing weight rapidly and is not eating....it is time to visit the Vet.
Many times a dog quits eating also because he knows when he does, it causes great digestive pain......they then associate eating with pain and only eat enough to survive. Many times these are the dogs that are DX'd with digestive diseases such as IBS(IBD) or have food sensitivities or reflux that cause a myriad of symptoms in an otherwise healthy dog.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Different breeds have different taste, so if your dog does this get some change in its diet. You can order food from dog meal suppliers so that he gets different taste. And the best part is dog meal suppliers prepare food in local-based kitchen so their food does not have any harm.
Save

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Time for a Vet evaluation, but I have learned over the years, there is a big difference in the prognosis for a dog that will not eat anything vs a dog that is very picky about his or her food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts