Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roscoe is now 4 months old. Overall, he's done very well with potty training and his accidents have been about what you would expect (as long as we've been diligent, he wasn't having many accidents at all).

Our son and his dog, Otis, moved in with us a few weeks ago and Roscoe has noticeably lost some ground in that time and is having more accidents in the house. We think a big portion of it is that he is entirely focused on Otis and playing with him. Many of his accidents are right after we've taken him outside and he's peed - he'll come in play for a couple minutes, then pee in the house. We're still mostly diligent (although I admit we have our lax moments) in letting him out to relieve himself.

Any ideas about what we're doing wrong and how we can get him back on track with fewer accidents?

·
Registered
131 Posts
So when two dogs play they can get so focused on playing they don't stop to let you know they have to go potty. Its like two little kids playing and they don't want to stop to use the restroom. The only thing i can think of is make sure he goes potty before he plays, even if it does taken some extra time. Also if they have been playing and the puppy drinks alot of water after, take him outside again and let him relieve himself before he goes back inside. Or if you have a fenced in yard or trust the two dogs playing outside you could do that until he goes potty and then let them play inside.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
It sounds to me like Roscoe is so interested about getting back inside to play with Otis that he is not fully emptying his bladder when he potties. To counter that what you can do is either stay out in the yard with him and let him potty at least one more time before bringing him back in, or bring him in, set a timer for 5 minutes (less if you know he can't make it to 5 minutes), and take him back out to finish pottying when it goes off. Remember to reward him every time he potties outside.

Reactions: gngracie

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds to me like Roscoe is so interested about getting back inside to play with Otis that he is not fully emptying his bladder when he potties. To counter that what you can do is either stay out in the yard with him and let him potty at least one more time before bringing him back in, or bring him in, set a timer for 5 minutes (less if you know he can't make it to 5 minutes), and take him back out to finish pottying when it goes off. Remember to reward him every time he potties outside.
Thank you Russian4 and Rain. I think you nailed it, Rain. I don't believe he's emptying his bladder all the way because he can't wait to get back to Otis. I like your timer idea and think I'll give that a try.

I laughed at your little kids analagy, Russian4. Those two are precisely like two little kids! lol Otis is just over a year old and still very exuberant, playful, and energetic, so he and Roscoe are a perfect match!

Having the two of them living together has been both a blessing a curse (but mostly a blessing). They wear my butt out! :dog-crazy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts