Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been over a month now that we have had our puggle. The potty training was tough and he still if left alone too long or watched closely he will go just about anywhere he wants. We keep him in his soft crate at night, he just whines way too much to be left outside and having a place to section off is way too hard in this house. He sleep very well in it and sometimes he likes to go and lay in and take a nap. The last two mornings I have gotten up to a mess in the crate, terrible diarrea. We have not changed his diet nor given him anything that he hasn't had since bringing him home. When we let him outside to go potty he either has loose stools or is straining to go. I am not sure what to do or if there is anything really wrong with him. Since we brought him home he has been eating the crab grass that I have unsuccessfully tried to get rid of, is this a problem? I have been told that animals eating grass can represent stomache problems but he seems just fine, still running around playing and all. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Its been over a month now that we have had our puggle. The potty training was tough and he still if left alone too long or watched closely he will go just about anywhere he wants. We keep him in his soft crate at night, he just whines way too much to be left outside and having a place to section off is way too hard in this house. He sleep very well in it and sometimes he likes to go and lay in and take a nap. The last two mornings I have gotten up to a mess in the crate, terrible diarrea. We have not changed his diet nor given him anything that he hasn't had since bringing him home. When we let him outside to go potty he either has loose stools or is straining to go. I am not sure what to do or if there is anything really wrong with him. Since we brought him home he has been eating the crab grass that I have unsuccessfully tried to get rid of, is this a problem? I have been told that animals eating grass can represent stomache problems but he seems just fine, still running around playing and all. Should I be worried?
Have you had a fecal done yet at your vet? I would suggest a fecal as well as an exam. It could be stress from being in his crate, he could be eating toys if you leave any in with him, I don't know about the grass, typically dogs eat it when they have an upset stomach some just enjoy chewing on grass. You should set up an appointment with your vet and make sure to take a fecal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He sleeps in his crate at night and has since we brought him home. I do put him in the crate when we leave, also he sometimes goes in and naps there so I am not sure its that but will consider it also. Its funny about the grass he will only eat the bottom of the shoots not the tops, finicky dog! When we tell him nite nite he takes his chew bone, and two small squeaky toys with him, just like a kid really! lol We make sure he can't chew up anything not good for him in the house but I can't always watch him in the backyard so he may be eating concrete for all I know right now. I think I am going to make sure I or someone goes out with him everytime to see if we can id anything he is eating.

Thanks for the advice. We as of yet do not have a vet, its really my daughters dog and she is working 5 shifts this week, she works in the trama unit and I cannot drive so if push comes to shove and he keeps this up I will make her take off and get the dog to the vet. Its amazing how fast this animal has gotten into our hearts. :dog-love: <----- thats cute!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
He sleeps in his crate at night and has since we brought him home. I do put him in the crate when we leave, also he sometimes goes in and naps there so I am not sure its that but will consider it also. Its funny about the grass he will only eat the bottom of the shoots not the tops, finicky dog! When we tell him nite nite he takes his chew bone, and two small squeaky toys with him, just like a kid really! lol We make sure he can't chew up anything not good for him in the house but I can't always watch him in the backyard so he may be eating concrete for all I know right now. I think I am going to make sure I or someone goes out with him everytime to see if we can id anything he is eating.

Thanks for the advice. We as of yet do not have a vet, its really my daughters dog and she is working 5 shifts this week, she works in the trama unit and I cannot drive so if push comes to shove and he keeps this up I will make her take off and get the dog to the vet. Its amazing how fast this animal has gotten into our hearts. :dog-love: <----- thats cute!
TY :) Have you noticed any of the toys chewed up? Or even if you keep a bed in his crate, have you checked that over? My dog eats the blanket sometimes when we are sleeping (even if we put bitter apple on it!) and it has caused him to strain when going potty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you noticed any of the toys chewed up? Or even if you keep a bed in his crate, have you checked that over? My dog eats the blanket sometimes when we are sleeping (even if we put bitter apple on it!) and it has caused him to strain when going potty.
No toys chewed up, and he chewed the bed pad within 3 days of getting it! lol I went out with him all day yesterday and he is not eating anything outside but the grass. He did have an infactuation with one particular pile of doody, he tried desparately to eat it! Theres a lot of grass in his poop also. All day yesterday he just layed around but last night acted like his old self after he pooped out watery stuff but then again this morning he had messed he crate again. I saved some of it and am going to make my daughter take him to the vet. He is acting just fine this morning though so I really have no idea what to make of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to let ya know we are taking him to the vet today, I went out with him and some of his poops looks like gelatin and the other is just water, yuck! The guy at the vet said he may have come to us with parasites and its taken this long to manifest itself. Thanks for taking the time to help me!!!

Mizz

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Yes that is what I was gonna say...sounds like a possible worm or intestinal parasite issue. I am sure its an easy fix :) GL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vet gave him a shot to stop the squirts and an antibiotic, he will call today to tell us what the lab says. He didn't mess his crate this morning and actually wasn't interested in getting up either! lol He did go poop this morning it was more on the soft side but at least its not water! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond I was really worried, I haven't had a dog really since I was a kid and hmm that was a very very long time ago and our cats never got sick. Glad to know theres some place like this to calm the anxiety in some of us newbies! :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
The vet gave him a shot to stop the squirts and an antibiotic, he will call today to tell us what the lab says. He didn't mess his crate this morning and actually wasn't interested in getting up either! lol He did go poop this morning it was more on the soft side but at least its not water! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond I was really worried, I haven't had a dog really since I was a kid and hmm that was a very very long time ago and our cats never got sick. Glad to know theres some place like this to calm the anxiety in some of us newbies! :)
LOL You are welcome :) Believe it or not I dealt with 2 months of on and off diarrhea and at times it was projectile water....fecals every couple of weeks, 2 round of antibiotics (finally said no more meds) it wound up being food. After trying 3 different brands he has taken extremely well to his new food. Let us know what the vet says! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got off the phone with the vet and he has giardia! Briefly he described what it was and does and then tells me its highly contagious even to human! Oh my, can anyone here tell me about it? anyone have a pet to have this? We are not sure at all where it came from, the shelter, outside cats going in the yard, I don't know. I am going to look it up on the net but would really appreciate any direction or advice I can get about this and how to deal with it.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I just got off the phone with the vet and he has giardia! Briefly he described what it was and does and then tells me its highly contagious even to human! Oh my, can anyone here tell me about it? anyone have a pet to have this? We are not sure at all where it came from, the shelter, outside cats going in the yard, I don't know. I am going to look it up on the net but would really appreciate any direction or advice I can get about this and how to deal with it.

Can get it pretty much anywhere...but dirty, wet places....and dirty water can do it. How clean was the shelter? Feces can spread it too.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts