Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud papa of an 11 month old pit bull/boxer.

Since the day I got him at the Humane Society I have fed him Hill's Science Diet: Advanced Fitness dog food (what he was being fed at the Humane Society). After consulting with my vet I decided to leave him on the Science Diet since he had nothing bad to say about the brand, my dog likes it, and it was keeping him healthy and regular.

A few weeks ago my poor guy got ill and was unable to control his bowels with severe diarrhea. I took him to the vet and it was determined that he had a bacterial infection probably because of something he ate on a walk when I was not looking. My vet prescribed an antibiotic, pro-biotic, and a mild soft food that would be easy on his stomach while he recovered.

Immediately when he started his recovery regimen his bowel movements returned to normal, and his poops firmed back up.

I have completed his treatment and over a few days I moved him back to his normal kibble but ever since switching his food back his stool is very soft and difficult to pick up. He seems to feel fine but it concerns me that his stool is so soft and sometimes runny.

My question is: Is this normal? Is he just still adjusting back to his normal food and his poops will firm back up over time?

I am considering switching him to a sensitive stomach formula but I wanted to get some advice before making the change.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I am the proud papa of an 11 month old pit bull/boxer.

My question is: Is this normal? Is he just still adjusting back to his normal food and his poops will firm back up over time?

I am considering switching him to a sensitive stomach formula but I wanted to get some advice before making the change.

Thanks for any input!
First of all Congratulations,
If you add a tablespoon of plain unsweetened yogurt to each meal if will help heal the stomach. Yogurt is a great thing to add daily all the time to make sure the stomach stays healthy.
I know the vet is OK with science diet but I would reconsider the quality of the food. The info on nutrition in vet school comes from the dog food industry. Unfortunately it is the poor quality dog foods companies that are involved with the schools. Most vets rely on the dog food company reps to tell them what foods to recommend. I would choose a different food to make sure that pup stays healthy all his life. I would try something from the Blue Buffalo basic line, pure vita or Wellness Simple Are all good nutritious foods
BLUE Basics - Choose the best dog food flavor for your dog
PureVita - Pure and Natural Holistic Pet Food Dog Food and Cat Food
Wellness® Dog Simple Recipes

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
It is likely that:

1) Your pup has intestinal parasites that were overlooked. If a fecal sample was not tested during his last illness, it should be checked for parasites.
2) Science Diet is not a bad food. Your vet gets no kick back for recommending it, and, if your vet was smart would not recommend it if he though it was a bad food no matter what a food company told him. Vets aren't puppets lol. After all, his oath is to do no harm and recommending a "bad" food would go against that, right?

It is possible that it simply does not agree with your dog, however. He could be developing a food allergy to it since allergies are often to the protein source in the food, often chicken or beef. Most science diet foods contain chicken so it may be advisable to not just switch to a sensitive stomach food, but switch to a "novel protein" diet. This means switching to a protein that your pup has never been exposed to before. I'd recommend sources such as venison, duck or salmon. A "limited ingredient" diet may be best. Natural Balance has some good ones, as does Wellness. You'd need to do a strict diet trial which means feeding that food ONLY (no treats or table scraps) for 6-8 weeks. In the meantime, I'd add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix, plain pumpkin) to each meal to help firm up the stool.

I posted a link to some articles about food allergies in the food section you may want to check out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts