Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every post I’ve seen on the internet about loose leash walking pertains to dogs that pull forward. Does anyone have advice to give on a dog that stops mid walk? She’s usually stopping to sniff/eat something off the ground. Also, does anyone have any advice for teaching puppy to “leave it.” Whenever my 5 month old frenchton listens to the cue, which is rarely, she will just go to the closest object to sniff/eat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Why can’t she stop to sniff at the ground? Not wanting her to eat from the ground is understandable but she should be allowed to stop and sniff. However, if you want her to walk, what does she do if you’re calling her? Call her and whenever she stops sniffing/eating reward her. If she’s not interested in you calling her, try to get her attention with a squeaky toy or something.

To teach the command “leave it” start by training in a non distracting environment, at home. Put something on the floor that she wants to eat/take (food/toy) and then get her attention (preferably by making some noise instead of saying her name since you want to teach her a different command) and show her that you have something of higher value than whatever’s on the floor. When she leaves the stuff on the floor, reward her. When she gets what to do, try to establish the command by saying “leave it”. Establish the cue well at home before training it outside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why can’t she stop to sniff at the ground? Not wanting her to eat from the ground is understandable but she should be allowed to stop and sniff. However, if you want her to walk, what does she do if you’re calling her? Call her and whenever she stops sniffing/eating reward her. If she’s not interested in you calling her, try to get her attention with a squeaky toy or something.

To teach the command “leave it” start by training in a non distracting environment, at home. Put something on the floor that she wants to eat/take (food/toy) and then get her attention (preferably by making some noise instead of saying her name since you want to teach her a different command) and show her that you have something of higher value than whatever’s on the floor. When she leaves the stuff on the floor, reward her. When she gets what to do, try to establish the command by saying “leave it”. Establish the cue well at home before training it outside.
Thank you! She will respond to “let’s go” fairly well. I guess you’re right about her being able to stop and sniff during training. Should I just be patient with her sniffing then reward as she comes back to me

She is really good with “leave it” during training sessions though. I’ve also started putting treats on the floor, during training sessions, and waiting until she ignores the treat then give the “take it” cue. My logic behind this is she might begin to ignore things on the ground and only eat/pick up things with my permission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every post I’ve seen on the internet about loose leash walking pertains to dogs that pull forward. Does anyone have advice to give on a dog that stops mid walk? She’s usually stopping to sniff/eat something off the ground. Also, does anyone have any advice for teaching puppy to “leave it.” Whenever my 5 month old frenchton listens to the cue, which is rarely, she will just go to the closest object to sniff/eat.
For the health of your dog they need to smell the world. It stimulates the brain. My dog walks on a loose leash or off leash, happily sniffing along. If I need him to heel, he will. Training. Nothing compares to taking the time to train. If you're having trouble, find a local trainer. A well trained dog, with good recall is a joy. I am appalled at how many dogs have zero respect for the owner and no recall at all. Train, repeat, train, repeat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts