Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking Toy Options...

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  TruckersMom 
#1 ·
Bella is a Medium size Terrier mix. Well she has began destroying ALL of her stuffed toys and her ropes. I am looking an affordable toy that is harder to destroy but not to hard has her teeth seem to fall out easily. From what I can tell she has already lost 2-4 teeth from chewing on EVERYTHING one to two on each side, and I am unsure if they will grow back since she is already 8 months old. The reason I am unsure of the amount she has lost is because it is a wide place on the same spot on each side that looks like 2 teeth could fit in those gaps,

So a strong toy, that isn't to hard as to break out her teeth, I was considering nylabone but I don't think her teeth are strong enough and at her age I don't want her to lose any more teeth. Also Will her teeth grow back she lost one about 2 months ago and the other about a month ago. I'm worried with the way she chews on everything she will end up losing so many teeth she won't be able to eat

#3 ·
My favorite indestructible toys are Goughnuts, made of rubber so they should be easy on the teeth. They offer several different types for different chewing styles, from "casual" to "basically a chainsaw on legs". They're guaranteed too!

Have you tried Kongs? The black ones are the toughest and you can smear peanut butter inside to get her chewing. Those have something like a 1-month warranty, works best if you buy it at a big box store (Petco or Petsmart if you're in the US) and save the original packaging and receipt. If she demolishes it in less than a month, take the sad remains back to the store and they'll exchange it for something tougher.

#4 ·
I would figure out first what, if anything is going on before trying out new toys. Some info and pics for you because loosing adult teeth at this age, especially due to chewing up rope and stuffed toys would be very unusual and warrants a vet visit for sure...
Dental Anatomy of Dogs

Like humans, dogs have 2 and only 2 sets of teeth. Puppy teeth which are lost as they mature and adult teeth. If lost, adult teeth are gone for good.

Bella should have all lost puppy teeth and have all adult teeth... Maybe molars still coming in but that's about it... Are you perhaps seeing space between the canines and premolars? Sometimes the premolar closest to the canines can be quite tiny so looks like lots of empty space.

#5 ·
Pax was/is a chewer and destroyed most of his toys till I found him an acceptable destructive outlet...Himalayan Chews.

Amazon.com : Himalayan Dog Chew, Mixed Pack (contains 3 pieces) : Pet Snack Treats : Pet Supplies

Hardened cheese product that they can gnaw on but softer than a bone that can break teeth. Not the cheapest treats/chews but cheaper then a bunch of new toys and furniture! They come in varying sizes.

He has been significantly less destructive since having those available to him.

#6 ·
It is one of her premolars I believe, I know she has lost teeth because I have seen her chewing on them, She only loses them when she chews on something she isn't supposed to like Furniture or the gate to her crate. I unfortunately cannot get her into the vet right now which is why I haven't taken her in. I have spend over 300 already on her spay shots and when she started coughing and I have to come u p with 1000$ for college before may so I only have been taking her to the vet for shots and any actual sickness they appear to be the first premolar on each side.

#7 · (Edited)
Right, but how long ago was this? I would assume the teeth you saw her with are puppy teeth, in which case that's normal.

What you need to do is to check adult teeth now. You can count teeth (adults have 42 total) and compare to pics in the link I gave you. Like I said in some dogs the premolars closest to the canines can be tiny so looks like nothing is there. My youngest actually has a tiny premolar and another never came in. Vet checked and is fine but theres decent amount of space between canines and premolars with just a tiny little tooth that is easily missed. Honestly it's likely Bella's are all are there/no issues. BUT if for some reason she actually lost adult teeth then seriously set a vet visit as it means the teeth potentially broke and can result in infection, abcesses, etc. Again teeth should not be breaking on rope and stuffed toys. Puppy teeth falling out sure, but they should be gone now.

If teeth are ok then get whatever toys she likes. All suggested are fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
The reason I am looking new toys is because she has started destroying hers, Ripping ropes to shreds, Ripping heads off stuffed toys, I just had to throw her dog bed away because she kept ripping stuffing out of it. I am looking toys that are harder to destroy, without being TOO hard Just something a little more durable I had a nylabone for my pit mix that I had to rehome but Bella isn't a large breed dog, Her mom was a small poodle terrier mix dad unknown she is only about 20 pounds at 8 months old so I don't want anything to hard

#9 ·
Okay, It is not the 1st premolar she has her canines, and 2 premolars behind it, She is missing her 3rd premolar on both sides of her mouth. There doesn't appear to be any remnants from the tooth that was there so I don't think it actually broke out but instead fell out, The first one was about 2 months ago the most recent being a couple weeks ago. It doesn't appear to bother her

#13 ·
I'd rule out stuffed toys altogether as they are by far the easiest to destroy.

I really like Kongs. They make a lot of different styles of toys, so it's easy to find something she'd like.

Maybe look into more interactive toys as well. The Kong Wobbler is fantastic because it's pretty durable and she'll expend more energy trying to get food out than just chewing on a rubber toy.

#14 ·
Look into good quality canvas toys. Not the cheapy ones, they are easy to destroy. But the good ones can stand up to a lot of abuse. But they are not indestructible. If she is tearing up toys I'd pick them up when you can not supervise her.

Reactions: TruckersMom
#15 ·
https://www.chewy.com/dog/kong-huggz-hedgehog-dog-toy-large/dp/112188

We love him. He still looks like new after almost 3 months and Trucker is a shredder and normally can destroy a toy in a day or 2.

https://www.chewy.com/dog/kong-squeezz-crackle-bone-dogs-large/dp/112265

This one is another favorite it sounds like a water bottle.

We just got (at Christmas) these two and he loves them so far:
https://www.chewy.com/dog/kong-squeezz-jels-koala-dog-toy/dp/46897

https://www.chewy.com/dog/kong-squeezz-jels-pig-dog-toy-large/dp/46901

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.