Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have advise on how to find a Shih Tzu puppy? We are just starting to look but don't want to go over $400. We're finding them, but most are either sold or way to far away and charge a lot for shipping (live in Mississippi).

My brother told me to watch out for puppy farms, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that?

I'm just not sure what the best site is for finding a pup, so I mainly wanted advice from others that may have searched and could recommend somewhere :)

We are really looking for one for Christmas for our 5 year old daughter, but we secretly love em more than her, lol. I don't think it necessarily has to be around Christmas, as we would say that's part of Christmas. I wouldn't want to turn down an opportunity for one and then go blank near Christmas.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I would suggest looking into rescues and shelters. In my area at least shih tzus and shih tzu mixes are pretty common in rescue, and there are even puppies from time to time. You will be getting the same genetic quality as a puppy from a puppy mill (sold in pet stores and online) or from a backyard breeder. The difference is that you will be financially supporting organizations that help animals rather than people who treat them poorly. Petfinder.com is a good resource for looking for rescue animals- you can search by breed, age, etc.

If you want to get a puppy from a reputable breeder it's very difficult if not impossible to find one with a budget of $400. A reputable breeder tests the parents for genetic diseases and disorders, give the parents and pups the best care possible, and will often show or compete with their dogs, all of which are quite expensive. Because of those expenses, I've never seen a puppy from a reputable breeder for less than $700 or $800.

·
Registered
279 Posts
― Mississippi Shih Tzu Rescue ― ADOPTIONS ―Â*RescueMe.Org

Also be careful getting a small dog for a small child, I have a 5 year old daughter, and while she is gentle as anything, we used to have 2 kittens (unfortunately my son was allergic so we had to re home them) and she used to put them in places, they didn't seem to mind at all being carried around and were adept at jumping in and out of her arms. but we definitely found them in a few strange places (toy-boxes, drawers) even with keeping an eye on them all the time. I think they liked it in there as they never seemed distressed and still gravitated toward her (which they wouldn't do if she had hurt them) but kids can inadvertently hurt small animals even if they are not being mean or rough. When our dog was a puppy, we had to supervise 24-7 to make sure she didn't pick her up (a puppy is not as agile as a kitten!). However the main reason we ended up with a larger dog was because of my 7 year old son who runs around like a crazy thing.

We will definitely be getting a small dog when my kids are less like steam-rollers though. I have a soft spot for shihtzu's myself!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Try a rescue, because you are not going to find a good Shih Tzu puppy for less than $8-1200 nonetheless 400. I work in a shelter and there has never been a time we didn't have 1-3 Shih Tzus or shih tzu mixes, including a fair number of young ones. If anywhere sells them for cheap like that then the dog will poor quality and maybe sick. NEVER buy from a puppy store or an ad or website online that ships dogs, they are all puppy mills. If you insist on a puppy go somewhere to a breeder that gives you health checks and let's you see the pup's parents. If they don't, then leave. But you will need to save a lot more money for this, as lapdog pups are expensive. I also agree with Em that you should be careful getting a small breed for a child. Why is it you're interested in this breed specifically? Also while the idea of a puppy for Christmas of fun, I'm generally against getting a dog for a kid (or anyone) without them meeting first. Even puppies can dislike children.

·
Super Moderator
3,750 Posts
Hi usmdesigner,

Welcome to the Dog Forum! It is always great to see prospective dog owners doing research before bringing home a new dog or puppy. I'd like to ask you about your previous experience owning dogs. Have you had a dog before as an adult? Are you experienced with raising puppies?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Depending on where you live in Mississippi, there's a 2-3 year old Shih Tzu at the Tuscaloosa Metro Shelter in Alabama. Adoption fees are about $100. She's incredibly calm and very loving. The perfect lap dog. She'll also go outside and play as well. I take her out and she chases me for a few minutes before we go back inside since its been hot lately. I've been removing some major mats from her hair and she's been golden. Very patient and forgiving when I've had to get some particularly hard knots out. She's a cream colored with slightly darker ears. Unfortunately she's not on the website yet but if you live close by and are interested in a slightly older puppy then she'd be great.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since you have a younger child I think a slightly older dog would be good so that no accidents leave the child or dog with bad memories of each other.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I agree with everyone else. You're not going to find a well bred shih tzu being sold for $400. Your only option at that price is rescue. Personally, with a young child in the house, I would stick with adult rescues. There's no telling what a puppy is going to grow up to be, which isn't such an issue normally, but with a small child in the mix, I recommend a dog at least a year in age, ideally 2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh no, my daughter is very gentle as she's been around dogs a lot. We've had a german shephard but he grew up way to fast and constantly hurt her. There wasn't a night that went by that she didn't cry from him just stepping on her foot :( (sweetest dog ever and it wasn't his fault, he just didn't understand she's fragile! lol)

My wife's sister has a Shih Tzu and this is why we want one. They get along great. We also are looking for a non shedding dog, and since we already have lots of experience with my wife's sisters dog, that seems the logical choice. We are thinking about a Schnauzer as well, as my brother has one of those.

Seems like the general consensus is that we'll have to save up for an expensive one though. Our local Animal ER has these for $8-900, but we just figured we could find one cheaper.

Thanks for all the replies though! Very informative for sure! :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Wait your local animal ER? As in an emergency room? Or do you mean something else?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts