Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past few months the idea of getting a dog is circling around the house. We are a 4 member family with two children both 18, who are willing to help with the dog care, the free time they have in the house, as well as take the dog to walks. The main care will be divided to all family members, mostly me and my wife. She had a little experience with dogs, mostly hunting breeds but I have non. We never had a dog in our family before.
Now to answer a few questions ahead:

we own a house with a medium sized, fenced, yard and we don’t have problems with neighbours , since most of them already have a dog.

we live in the surburbs, there are many safe places to go with your dog for a walk, But not a park like those in the movies.

we would like a purebred puppy, since we have enough time to train it.

22 out of the 24 hours there is someone in the home and those two hours are free time that we are outside and jog, so a dog could be our companion.

The dog size is not really a problem, even though a huge one is not exactly what we have in mind.

We would like the dog to live inside the house if possible.

The main grooming, like a bath or cutting the nails is a work we could do ourselves.

Now, about the dog it self:
We’ve made a list of breeds we like, but we are open to other suggestions. In general these is the temperament and other characteristics of the dog that we favour

Loving, Affectionate (not the drooling and always lickin kind), Smart, Loyal, Cheerfull,Indeependent (but not stuborn, at least too much), not aggressive to humans and other dogs.

on the outside: Medium and Big, not too much sedding, at least all the year, the least amount of drooling, and not too vocal

That’s it generally, our list now is this but feel free to cross anything out or make addition:

Welsh terrier
Irish setter
Greyhound
Fox terrier
Labrador
Golden Retriever
Curly Coated Retriever
English Setter

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello and welcome.

The only one in the list that I know about is the Golden. Mine is about 1& 3/4 yrs old and a great dog....Super friendly and gets along great with my others (Mini Aussie, and Border Collie/Lab Mix). She is also extremely smart which is a mixed blessing..LOL

She was the hardest to train of any dog that I have owned and also is a VERY heavy shedder. I mean that she out sheds the Aussie and that is going some. Mine was a gift from friends whose dogs had puppies. Mine is what is known as a Field Golden (Reddish with very long legs), There are differences with Goldens bred in Europe and those from the USA; with the European lines said to be healthier.

Goldens are known for many health problems and luckily I have my friends to speak with concerning the parent's progress and health.
Just some info to help with your decision. Generally I am not that fond of breeders, but with a Golden; finding a high quality breeder with a good reputation is paramount if you go with this breed. Generally, Goldens are superb family dogs and love everyone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome.

The only one in the list that I know about is the Golden. Mine is about 1& 3/4 yrs old and a great dog....Super friendly and gets along great with my others (Mini Aussie, and Border Collie/Lab Mix). She is also extremely smart which is a mixed blessing..LOL

She was the hardest to train of any dog that I have owned and also is a VERY heavy shedder. I mean that she out sheds the Aussie and that is going some. Mine was a gift from friends whose dogs had puppies. Mine is what is known as a Field Golden (Reddish with very long legs), There are differences with Goldens bred inEurope and those from the USA; with the European lines said to be healthier.

Goldens are known for many health problems and luckily I have my friends to speak with concerning the parent's progress and health.
Just some info to help with your decision. Generally I am not that fond of breeders, but with a Golden; finding a high quality breeder with a good reputation is paramount if you go with this breed. Generally, Goldens are superb family dogs and love everyone.

View attachment 248971
Thank you very much for your answer, it was very helpful. I am not sure about the breeders thing, but we would like to settle to a dog breed first. Golden retrieves are very beautiful and nice dogs indeed and some of our favorites. Do you know anything about curly coated retrieves, cause they belong to the same family? Anyway thanks for the reply!:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry but I do not.
The only reason that I went for a Golden was that my friends wanted me to have one of their puppies, and one of mine was getting very old (she is passed now).
I don't regret mine for a second, but am concerned about things like cancer and hip dysplasia, which are quite common with this breed. Usually I wait until a female is 1 yr old before I spay, to be sure that the growth platelets have closed. I waited an extra six months to be sure
There are mixed feelings about neutering, but since I will not breed, I neuter. With females, pyometra is an over-riding concern. Neutering is much more common in the USA for better or worse.

I will also say that she has a huge amount of energy that needs to be "worked off" daily. I am no youngster, and luckily she gets plenty of exercise playing with the mix (3 yrs old)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Forget the Irish setter they remain children their whole lives they are just big babies they drool and yes they can shed so I don't honestly think they would be a good match given the list you made.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forget the Irish setter they remain children their whole lives they are just big babies they drool and yes they can shed so I don't honestly think they would be a good match given the list you made.
Thank you too for your comment, it was the most helpful, I have heard these concerns about irish Setters from many people and bibliography and it does not seem such a good idea, if you have any experience with other dog breeds that have any similarities with what i described please tell me, any additions in our list are more than welcome! Thanks again:)

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I wonder if you might find some of the terriers a bit stubborn - terriers are rather single minded ... that said, some terriers (including those on your list) are more 'terrierist' than others. Soft coated wheaten terriers are less extreme, non shedding and seem to tick your boxes. Or, i say this a lot, but poodles are awesome dogs that are massively under rated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if you might find some of the terriers a bit stubborn - terriers are rather single minded ... that said, some terriers (including those on your list) are more 'terrierist' than others. Soft coated wheaten terriers are less extreme, non shedding and seem to tick your boxes. Or, i say this a lot, but poodles are awesome dogs that are massively under rated.
Thanks for the advise, I think I can handle a stubborn dog, especially since I will train him from puphood. I have also Read that they are stubborn because of their intellect, I have patience to train them but if they are that stubborn I will keep it in my mind. Also thanks for the addition of poodles, even though I kind of like them, their not exactly what I would define as a beautiful dog for me, I know that these things are personal and that’s the opinion of the other 3 family members, so it’s a no unfortunatel, if you know any other breeds or have any experience with some of them please feel free to share it, it will be very helpfu. Thanks again! :)

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I think I can handle a stubborn dog, especially since I will train him from puphood
To be fair, stubborn is perhaps an unfair word, but don't discount the nature versus nurture issue. We have bred dogs selectively over thousands of years to promote or suppress particular traits, so now we have a wide range of characteristics that do vary from breed to breed. For example, there is a reason why we don't use huskies to herd sheep - it can be done but it is a lot harder to train. So some breeds are more eager to please than others, and I think some of the more driven terriers are firmly not in that category.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be fair, stubborn is perhaps an unfair word, but don't discount the nature versus nurture issue. We have bred dogs selectively over thousands of years to promote or suppress particular traits, so now we have a wide range of characteristics that do vary from breed to breed. For example, there is a reason why we don't use huskies to herd sheep - it can be done but it is a lot harder to train. So some breeds are more eager to please than others, and I think some of the more driven terriers are firmly not in that category.
Thank you for the advise, I am not throwing nature away, just hoping for the best, truth be told I would like an obedient dog, but terriers seem overall as a nice dog family, if you don't count their stubbornness and overactivity. I know they are not the best suited for first time owners, but I wanted to give it a shot. Now that you highlighted these issues I will consider it again. Please, is there any other breed that is friendly and obedient, but we would like it to look either friendly and cuddly, like retrievers or majestic and aristocratic like Irish setters and greyhounds. Thank you all in advance!:):unsure:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you look at the wheaten terrier, as a less extreme terrier?
Yes, I did, It looks like a very good family dog candidate indeed and very good looking too, i wanted to ask if you have any experience with the breed, and if they are overdestructive, because that might be a problem.:unsure::)

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
They were on my list for a while but you know I'm sure how plans get superceded by other things. In my case, a terrier crossed with a toilet brush

20161110_085335.jpg

They are also not very common here but I have an acquaintance who has one, regularly leaves him for a few hours (having obviously built up to that over time) and hasn't mentioned destructive behaviour.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They were on my list for a while but you know I'm sure how plans get superceded by other things. In my case, a terrier crossed with a toilet brush

View attachment 248974
They are also not very common here but I have an acquaintance who has one, regularly leaves him for a few hours (having obviously built up to that over time) and hasn't mentioned destructive behaviour.
Well, I am not sure if you can find any here as well, that is an issue but that's why I had other breeds in my list, about the others any ideas? Thanks a lot about your time! (y) :D

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
A friend had a golden retriever (now deceased), she was the sweetest, best tempered dog I have ever met. Ever. And I include my own dogs in that comparison, there is a good reason why they are so popular.

The labrador might be a good fit too, in the UK we have two types, working and show (as we do for the GR too). The working tends to be more athletic, the show type can run to fat (although that is all down to the owner).

Greyhounds can have sketchy recall. As sighthounds, if they see a rabbit on the horizon, you might not get them back. Again though, I have a friend with two retired racers and they buck the trend by being fine off lead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A friend had a golden retriever (now deceased), she was the sweetest, best tempered dog I have ever met. Ever. And I include my own dogs in that comparison, there is a good reason why they are so popular.

The labrador might be a good fit too, in the UK we have two types, working and show (as we do for the GR too). The working tends to be more athletic, the show type can run to fat (although that is all down to the owner).

Greyhounds can have sketchy recall. As sighthounds, if they see a rabbit on the horizon, you might not get them back. Again though, I have a friend with two retired racers and they buck the trend by being fine off lead.
Thats lovely, I am going towards golden retriever, and your comments really back that preference up. We are not sure for greyhounds, cause. they are a bit fragile and eccentric looking, I love them, but others don't seem so excited, what breed are your dogs, if I may ask? I am interested in others perspectives as well. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Please, is there any other breed that is friendly and obedient, but we would like it to look either friendly and cuddly, like retrievers or majestic and aristocratic like Irish setters and greyhounds. Thank you all in advance!:):unsure:
Whenever I see a "what breed should I get" thread, I feel compelled to point out that there can be individual variation within a breed. If you don't look at the individual dog, you may not get what you're looking for. I attach a video about looking at personality traits in adult dogs -- more experienced people can tell us whether you can use the same technique for puppies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whenever I see a "what breed should I get" thread, I feel compelled to point out that there can be individual variation within a breed. If you don't look at the individual dog, you may not get what you're looking for. I attach a video about looking at personality traits in adult dogs -- more experienced people can tell us whether you can use the same technique for puppies.

Thanks a lot, I am well aware of the dog's individual personality, and the fact that dogs who belong to a aggressive breed, for example, can be big softies and visa versa. But I think and, please correct me if I am wrong, that there are some traits that belong to the majority of one breed's dogs. That's why I am asking here, also I am interested in other owners experiences and dogs physical traits (shedding, drooling, prey drive) of a breed. Getting to know the other owners dog's character is not bad either, cause I get an overall idea, even though each dog is an individual. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
A dog's energy level will probably be important to you. If you get a high energy breed, and you have the time to exercise them, train them, and find work for them to do, it can be a very rewarding experience. If you don't have the time, then they have to do something with that unused energy, such as destroying your house. If you get a low energy dog and you want to go hiking with him all the time, you will make him miserable. But if you just want to watch TV with the low energy dog, then you're a match made in heaven!

My dog is a high energy breed. But then I gradually realized that she's probably on the low energy end for her breed, and that's great for me because I work in front of a computer, but not so great for people who want her to do what her breed does (run around in the swamp all day hunting hogs). On the other hand, like her breed, she is a natural hunter, a good watch dog, intelligent, etc. (These turn out not to be such good things. I can't leave her unattended for fear she might kill smaller animals. She barks & draws complaints.) When I was trying to learn about her breed, I read every single internet post about it. I discovered there is such a wide range. One dog is a sweet heart that just loves cuddling. Another dog makes his owner live in fear. A lot of dogs live out the hardy, independent reputation that this breed has. I don't think my dog can. So I started thinking that you have to get to know the dog that's going to be your friend for life!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A dog's energy level will probably be important to you. If you get a high energy breed, and you have the time to exercise them, train them, and find work for them to do, it can be a very rewarding experience. If you don't have the time, then they have to do something with that unused energy, such as destroying your house. If you get a low energy dog and you want to go hiking with him all the time, you will make him miserable. But if you just want to watch TV with the low energy dog, then you're a match made in heaven!

My dog is a high energy breed. But then I gradually realized that she's probably on the low energy end for her breed, and that's great for me because I work in front of a computer, but not so great for people who want her to do what her breed does (run around in the swamp all day hunting hogs). On the other hand, like her breed, she is a natural hunter, a good watch dog, intelligent, etc. (These turn out not to be such good things. I can't leave her unattended for fear she might kill smaller animals. She barks & draws complaints.) When I was trying to learn about her breed, I read every single internet post about it. I discovered there is such a wide range. One dog is a sweet heart that just loves cuddling. Another dog makes his owner live in fear. A lot of dogs live out the hardy, independent reputation that this breed has. I don't think my dog can. So I started thinking that you have to get to know the dog that's going to be your friend for life!
Thanks, again for your reply, it was really enlightening, we would like the dog to be a jogging companion for about 1 hour a day, a little more is not a problem, also because we have a fenced yard she/he could walk a there as well and have some fun, inside the house now I think there would be things to do, generally I believe we live a medium-high energy dog friendly life, but not too high (always wanting to run and fool around kind of energy high), if have any suggestion based on that please tell me. Also I saw the video you uploaded, I was helpful indeed, but I am not sure if these techniques will work on puppies as well, cause they are much more indistinguishable in their behaviors, as all babies are. I have heard that one should choose the puppies that come to him in the middle, not the first cause they are over-energetic, not the last because they may grow to be overprotective, shy or aggressive. I don't know if this is true. Thanks again, all of you! :) :unsure:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts