Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm arriving here under difficult circumstances. My dog is ill. I strongly suspect she has something seriously wrong with her, and we are in the process of trying to get a diagnosis.

Meanwhile, I am looking for advice from other dog lovers with experience with the things we are dealing with. Medications… trying to get her to eat… preparing for medical tests… understanding test results… preparing for the worst if the worst should happen… these kinds of things. I feel rather lost and in need of some guidance.

I'm sad to join your forum under these circumstances, because being a dog lover normally brings me enormous joy. I have four dogs (all Italian Greyhounds) who mean the world to me. I adore them all so much!

I hope I can share some of my knowledge with people here too and bring something positive to this community.

Lisa

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm sorry about your dog. Unfortunately I don't know much about major illnesses like what you're describing. My only experiences have been with giving pills and bandaging open sores. As far as pills go, I know it sounds basic but the pill pockets are amazing. Unless you have a dog like my brother's GSD who can take a pill pocket, eat the treat then spit out the pill, they work pretty well. For her though we've started putting her pills/flea medicine inside those uncrustable PB&J sandwiches. She inhales those, pills and all. Of course we don't over do it, just when everything else (pill pockets, food bowl, hot dog bits, cheese, etc) fails.
I also have no experience with Italian greyhounds. My dogs have always been the shepherd breeds, so we've never had an issue with getting them to eat. Maybe pouring broth on the food?
Sorry if this doesn't help. I saw that no one had commented yet and wanted to at least try and give some advice.
I hope she gets better!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Waiting for a diagnosis is so hard. Lack of appetite can be especially difficult. I hope you find out why your dog is ill soon and can then form some sort of plan to deal with the illness as best possible. I've been through some serious illnesses with dogs and you have my complete sympathy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for the response. I appreciate it a lot. The suggestions are great and have worked with our dogs in the past, which is why I am so worried this time. My girl won't eat anything at all. Not even a bite of her most favourite things, which is heartbreaking. She seems hungry and interested in food, but when we give it to her, she backs away. We've tried literally dozens of different foods, and she won't touch anything.

We took her to another vet today because our regular one is closed on Sundays. He gave her intravenous fluids and took some X-rays, which may or may not provide any clues. We have an ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday. I'm really rather scared she won't last that long.

I really do appreciate the warm welcome and the understanding. It's terrible how lonely it feels to deal with a pet's illness, even with support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts