Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been scouring google scholar and, so far, have come up empty. I'm in search of studies that specifically deal in what we have come to know as "calming signals"

I've found studies that assume that CS are valid and use them to gauge stress or emotional state, but I can't find any that actually focus on deciphering the meaning of dog body language in terms of communication with other dogs and people.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm familiar with her book and her work. I am looking for peer-reviewed research that backs it up. I just saw someone questioning calming signals and their scientific validity so I'm taking it upon myself to find the research and do a write up on it :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Calming "Signals" are not Intentional.

What we call “calming signals” is really how the dog is responding to the emotional momentum that he associates with any given stimulus as for example when he sees another dog. Some dogs are projecting emotional momentum, ears forward, tail high, shoulders tight (i.e. putting out a “PING”).

Some dogs are absorbing emotional momentum, ears back, tail low, shoulders ready to lower (i.e. putting out a “PONG”).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Not peer reviewed, but you might want to take a look at the book, "How Dogs Work" by Raymond Coppinger (1) and Mark Feinstein (2).

1. Professor emeritus of biology at Hampshire College.
2. Professor of cognitive science at Hampshire College.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts