Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow animal lovers :)
I just adopted a hound mix. I plan on getting him groomed at the groomers, but I'd also like to find some shampoo so I can wash him at home.
Any suggestions for a short and coarse coat? Perhaps someone with a hound or a beagle can suggest something? Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just adopted a hound mix. I plan on getting him groomed at the groomers, but I'd also like to find some shampoo so I can wash him at home.
Any suggestions for a short and coarse coat? Perhaps someone with a hound or a beagle can suggest something? Thanks!
Hello! I am a fellow beagle owner. Duke looks like such a cutie! Congrats on the adoption.

I recommend any Earthbath brand shampoo. I personally use the Oatmeal and Aloe kind with Vanilla & Almond. You can (and should) dilute most dog shampoos by mixing it in another squirt bottle with water as most dog shampoos are pretty concentrated.

Another brand I would recommend is Nootie brand pet shampoo. If you are looking for some amazing scents, that is the way to go. Their shampoos also contain almond oil and vitamin E for healthy, shiny coats. I have personally used the Warm Vanilla Cookie scent. Earthbath shampoo does smell good, it is just a much lighter scent.

Have fun with your new pup!

edit: I use a Kong Zoom Groom to brush my beagle's coat every few days, it takes out a LOT of loose fur, and I defintiely notice more shine afterwards. These brushes are cheap, also, and they are rubber so it feels like a massage for your pet :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello! I am a fellow beagle owner. Duke looks like such a cutie! Congrats on the adoption.

I recommend any Earthbath brand shampoo. I personally use the Oatmeal and Aloe kind with Vanilla & Almond. You can (and should) dilute most dog shampoos by mixing it in another squirt bottle with water as most dog shampoos are pretty concentrated.

Another brand I would recommend is Nootie brand pet shampoo. If you are looking for some amazing scents, that is the way to go. Their shampoos also contain almond oil and vitamin E for healthy, shiny coats. I have personally used the Warm Vanilla Cookie scent. Earthbath shampoo does smell good, it is just a much lighter scent.

Have fun with your new pup!

edit: I use a Kong Zoom Groom to brush my beagle's coat every few days, it takes out a LOT of loose fur, and I defintiely notice more shine afterwards. These brushes are cheap, also, and they are rubber so it feels like a massage for your pet :)
Thank you so much! I will definitely be getting one of those. And I believe I bought the same brush.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't have a hound dog, but my friend have one. She used shampoos that have a strong perfume and overcome the hound smell for a few days, like La Pooch, Oats Fur Coats(Kelco) and Lambert Kay Fresh 'n Clean Oatmeal 'N Baking Soda. :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Unfortunately there is nothing that will get rid of the hound smell. It has to do with the oil in their coats. I look for gentle and non toxic. Kelco has a bunch of natural non soap formulas that are gentle and smell good. This is a good choice.
Kelco Filthy Animal Deep Cleaning Dog Shampoo 11.7 oz
Its 50 to 1 concentrated so you put some in another bottle and add water. Make sure and read the directions to mix. It makes it very inexpensive to use and its great shampoo.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Unfortunately there is nothing that will get rid of the hound smell. It has to do with the oil in their coats. I look for gentle and non toxic. Kelco has a bunch of natural non soap formulas that are gentle and smell good. This is a good choice.
Kelco Filthy Animal Deep Cleaning Dog Shampoo 11.7 oz
Its 50 to 1 concentrated so you put some in another bottle and add water. Make sure and read the directions to mix. It makes it very inexpensive to use and its great shampoo.
I haven't ever heard anything about hounds having a "hound smell". Ours doesn't, and never has. And I've never met one in the past who does either.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I was a groomer and they do have a stronger smell especially when wet. It is like there coats are dirt magnets. I cover my dog beds with baby sheets to make it easier to keep them clean. My hounds bed needs to be changed after a couple of days where my other dogs bed still looks clean after a month.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They should be groomed every 4 – 6 weeks to clean ears, clip nails and check anal glands. Paws: Bloodhounds have very large thick nails and need regular nail trims to keep their feet from splaying. Because they track game they need Paw Balm to keep their pads soft and pliable to keep them from drying and cracking

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I bought such a shampoo. You helped me. I was tormented with my dog. She went to the dressing room all over the house ((((all my carpets and blankets had a bad smell ((I bought this
He washed smelly things for a long time. And now there is no smell. But at one time there will be no result. Wash 2-3 times

1 - 10 of 10 Posts