Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I hope it's ok to post a topic on two different boards where applicable?!

I'm currently looking into buying a Thundershirt for my 9 year old rescue dog Jax, we've had him for 18 months now and whilst he's made fantastic progress, there's definitely room for improvement on the relaxation front shall we say! ;-)

I spent last night reading all the reviews I could find online and there seems to be a distinct pattern emerging, basically if you expect the Thundershirt to be a miracle cure then you'll be disappointed, whereas if you're realistic and use it as part of an ongoing management/training/exercise plan then it may help and the results can be quite impressive in a short space of time.

So I wondered what your experiences were? Have you or someone you know used a Thundershirt on their dog and if so what were the results? I'm looking for good reviews, bad reviews and everything in between, also opinions, even if you haven't tried it, what do you think of the concept?

I'd love to her from you!

Laura

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've never used it myself but a good friend of mine has and has seen good results. I don't know much of the details. I will ask her and post back.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
My rescue dog Miles had moderate separation anxiety in the first few months after I brought him home from the shelter. We used a ThunderShirt everyday when we left for the day and over time his separation anxiety diminished. Now, he is quite o.k. with being left alone and hasn't worn the ThunderShirt in a very long time. I think there were two factors at play: a) the ThunderShirt and b) his getting used to our home and routine. Other than that, we didn't follow any special protocol for his separation anxiety. I think it's worth a try.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I've used it on two dogs for thunder phobia. Neither dog showed any improvement. Desensitization and counter conditioning proved to be the best method for my dogs.

What exactly are you hoping to see change, behavior wise, with the thundershirt?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It used to help my Doxie calm down and he was crazy. But it's not a miracle cure

Reactions: Laus2002

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I use one for my lab in regards to her fear of storms. I think it takes the edge off, but usually does not completely remove the fear. If it is not a HORRIBLE storm, it usually allows us to get her to lay down long enough to pass out. If it is a really bad storm then she usually needs benedryl.

Reactions: Laus2002

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The trainer that I shadow will actually use them sometimes while counter-conditioning reactive dogs. Indeed, they aren't "magic" but they definitely take a bit of the edge off the dog so that behavior adjustment is more effective. I think that you'd be pleased with the results, given that from what I know of you, you do attempt to work with your dog using counter-conditioning, desensitization, BAT, etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for your replies!

Grabby, to be honest it's not really about changing his behaviour, more about allowing him to relax, he's a lot better after 18 months of hard work but I wish he could relax more in the home, he's so aware of every little noise or movement outside, to the point we've actually swapped our bedroom and living room around (we live in a bungalow) to see if taking him away from the front gate helps and it really has, I just hoped this might help him chill out even further, being so aware all the time must be exhausting!

Thank you Kelly, you're right, I've learnt so much from this forum and will continue to work on all the other aspects of training/exercise/management that we've been doing, the idea of the Thundershirt is to use it as simply another tool in a very, very large tool box! ;-)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Kelly, we tried the DAP diffuser for 6 months but we didn't really notice a difference and as you say, it's so expensive! Although I've heard that the collar can be more effective so I may give it another go. X

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
The DAP collar did absolutely nothing for Miles's separation anxiety. If the DAP diffuser hasn't worked, I'm not sure I'd bother with the collar.

I believe that I paid about $35 for his ThunderShirt, which I found to be a very good investment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Thundershirt for Cleo because she gets anxious when I leave. She was fine with it on while I was in the house. It made her overall less barky and bouncy and jumpy. However, I could also put any clothes on her at all and she treated it like it was a Thundershirt. However, when I left the house and put the Thundershirt on her while I was gone, she tore it off of herself, ripped it up and peed on it.

So I would say it didn't work for us! Giving her a kong with peanut butter lessened her anxiety somewhat when I leave. And age and experience that I will come back seem to have helped her most.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts