Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I'm currently looking into buying a Thundershirt for my 9 year old rescue dog Jax, we've had him for 18 months now and whilst he's made fantastic progress, there's definitely room for improvement on the relaxation front shall we say! ;-)

I spent last night reading all the reviews I could find online and there seems to be a distinct pattern emerging, basically if you expect the Thundershirt to be a miracle cure then you'll be disappointed, whereas if you're realistic and use it as part of an ongoing management/training/exercise plan then it may help and the results can be quite impressive in a short space of time.

So I wondered what your experiences were? Have you or someone you know used a Thundershirt on their dog and if so what were the results? I'm looking for good reviews, bad reviews and everything in between, also opinions, even if you haven't tried it, what do you think of the concept?

I'd love to her from you!

Laura

·
Registered
470 Posts
I tried it for storm anxiety and it didn't really do anything. I found it more shut my dog down and thus limited his reaction rather than actually reducing anxiety. It seems to be better for generalized anxiety from the reviews I have seen. It certainly can't hurt to try. But in my experience, a dog coat (like a fleece one) does the same thing as a thundershirt.

The vet behaviorist I saw swore by Dog Appeasing Pheremone and apparently there is some research to back it up. You may want to give that a shot too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Misty is very afraid of thunder and a Thundershirt really does help her. She is too nervous to eat dinner if there's a storm going on but calms down enough when we put the shirt on her. I wouldn't say it worked wonders but it really does help. When my daughter worked in a pet hotel she said owners would bring there dog's thundershirt and leave it in case there was a storm because it helped their dog a lot.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I have one and use it on my lab whenever a storm rolls through (which is often in Florida). It really seems to take the edge off.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It helped Barney calm down some, he was a very anxious dog. If you have the money I think it's worth a try, and if it doesn't work you can donate it to a shelter. But if you'd rather try some cheaper alternatives first that might work better.

·
Registered
874 Posts

Trucker has one. The pictures are all taken within a couple weeks/days of each other. He is scared of pretty much everything especially stagers so the fact that he even made it in to a dog park to play is amazing and he was having a blast. But as you can see from picture 2 it isn't a cure all, he still went catatonic on me when we went to training because all eyes were on him.

If you buy the thundershirt directly from the company if it doesn't work there is a 100% money back guarantee.

P.s. trucker knows how to take his off because he watches me put it on him. So if he wants it off he just grabs from the open velcro edge and pulls to remove it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.