Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a support dog who is very vital to my situation which includes several serious mental issues. When I got her 4 years ago, my health was good, weighed 178 lbs, then about a year later found kidney cancer, gall bladder problems, severe internal infections, then dropped all the way down to 126 lbs. That first year we were very active, and I was just totally taken in with this animal that everyone comments on about being "so cute", "beautiful dog", and she was very loving. (Not to offend any feminists in the group, but on 4 occasions she was my "chick magnet". Got several dates because of her) I say that in jest, but it's true.
Anyway, what we mostly did, before my health decline, was taking long walks and playing various games involving her tennis balls. For the past 2 years, I have had days when it is all I can do to get out of bed, let her out to potty, and flop down in my recliner. I came to realize that she was beginning to stop responding to me calling her. she pretty much stopped asking for tummy tickles, and scratching her head and back. I do have some good days when we can go out and play ball, maybe 3-4 days a week for 15 - 20 minutes. I always take her with me wherever I go and she has always been welcome. Never had anyone deny us entry. Of course, I don't take her to day surgeries, MRIs, CT scans, things like that, and I can't afford eating out.
At night, I always watch some TV until my meds kick in and start to knock me out. It was during that time that I sang to her, did the head scratching and tummy tickles, but it has gotten to the point that if whatever I want to do does not involve playing ball,l she will just flat not respond to me. A few days ago I blacked out and fell, was out for about an hour, and as far as I know, she never got off the bed to see about me. This happened a couple of times before, and both times I came to with her licking my face, I guess trying to rouse me, I don't know.
On days that I cannot play much, or none at all, she will not eat, or sometimes I can entice her to eat by taking food in my hand and putting it to her mouth. She will turn her head away from me until I can finally get a bit of it on her lips, then she will go to her bowl where I start hand-feeding her a couple bites, then she will eat.
Most people look at me like I've lost my marbles (I am a few short) but this is for real and her ignoring me and shunning me is getting to be a real problem.
Could it be that playing ball means that all is "normal" and a sort of security for her that I love her and care about her, and means all is well? It's beginning to drive me nuts.
Can someone suggest alternative activities for those days that I am so weak and hurting too bad to go out and throw the ball. All I want is her to be happy, but I don't feel that she is. I don't understand things that go on inside a dog's head. I majored in abnormal "people" psych. but know that dog's do not process feeling that same way humans do. HELP!!!!
She has had some training and she is my support animal, as recommended by my therapist. I have enough problems with severe depression and dissociations and this situation with her is pushing my limits. She is all I have: my family, my only friend, my link to reality, and my only barrier between me and what could become suicidal loneliness. I admit, I may be too attached to her, but she's all I got. And I really need some honest down-in-the-dirt help here. I can handle constructive criticism with no problem and I'm not one to take offense to much of anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
It might be worth getting a vet check first, to be sure it is behavioural and not medical.

She may be under stimulated, in the UK we have a charity that arranges volunteer dog walkers for people in situations like yours. Is there anything similar in the US?

Or, there are schemes where people who are not able to have their own dog ”borrow” yours for the morning or afternoon to take her for a walk. I'm sure there must be similar in the US.

You could also teach her tricks which wouldn't need too much physical activity on your part. Maybe even adapt some to teach her to actually help out. Kikopup on YouTube has some videos that should help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have spent several hundred dollars with the vet. Living on a paltry Social Security I do good just to buy food, keep her shots up to date, and buy a Trifexis single tablet. I got so worried one weekend that we went to the ER and they did what they could, sans expensive scans. The vets say they cannot detect a heart murmur, but there is no way to afford the expensive tests. I cannot afford the co-pays for some tests that I need. So, I just have to go with that pray for the best.
She is a very high energy dog and I'm a low-energy old man!
Wag has been helpful, but I can no longer afford their services. As for volunteer services, I have not been able to find any. I am in Denton County, Tx, and if anyone knows the area let me know if any volunteer services. I am not one who is good at coming up with dog activities. I could come up with all kinds of ideas with my children, but dogs.......well, I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I read your other post aswell.
I feel for you i know what its like living with major depressive disorder as well as complex ptsd, ocd, derealisation disorder and autism. I also worry endlessly it affects my dogs mental health. My dogs my soul reason for existance.
I can assure your dog was watching you when you blacked out. It sounds like shes so worried about you thats why shes not eating. Is she normaly a hoover hound like my dog. The only time he didnt eat was when i was in hospital for a day and a neighbour fed him but refused to eat cause he was worrying over me. I play hide n seek games with food in toything. My dog absolutly loves it and goes flat out and is mentaly exhausted after. Maybe you could do that with a ball. Sorry im not much help

·
Registered
302 Posts
Another thing i do on big rainy days is play with a laser light. HOWEVER! it can come at a risk, my dog is perfect with it but i showed it 2 someone elses dog once for no more than 5seconds and it screwed with that dogs head and he started chasing shadows ect all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts