Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use Hi Life which is a moist 'dry' dog food..but am not aware if you can get it in the US!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi,

For one, Old Roy is horrible! If you want to feed her a moist food, the type that you are looking for is NOT good for dogs. Think about it like eating clay with salt and sugar with a bowl of high sugary cereal!

If you want your dog to have a good diet, I highly recommend Taste of the Wild High Prairie formula. Or any other grain free kibble. If you want her to have a wet food, there are many flavors of good canned foods out there. They will cost more in the long run, but are fine to feed your dog. The ones that I have fed my dogs are made by Evangers and Merick.

Do research on the internet. There are lots of good websites for good diets and raw or home cooked diets to feed dogs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ol roy IS horrible!! I feed my dogs purina one, it is pretty much in between the high quality and the icky stuff. I also put a little warm water in it to help with digestion. I mean a little, not where it is soggy. They still have to chew it, but it is like a gravy to them, I dont know,lol, but it works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all. I had to drop a note and make a suggestion. I know you all love your dogs because you took the time to post on this website. I am talking from first hand experience of trying literally most every dog food carried at petsmart.

I am just asking you to take a look at the ingredients on the dog food. The first and second ingredients should be meat. The food should also NOT ever include animal digest. That is the mark of a mid-high quality food.

If you are ready to take the leap, you could try feeding your dogs raw food. It's moist, and while it might appear more expensive, you will feed your dog a LOT less than you are now.

Again, I am not trying to be judgemental, I'm just talking from personal experience.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think raw food diets are the best that you can feed your dogs. By far better than the dog foods that are on the market.

If you are going to feed your dog a decent good kibble please read the ingredients of these foods : Taste of the Wild : Products

My dogs do very well on this food. I haven't met a dog yet that couldn't eat this food. Stools are always good, coats, skin and eyes are perfect. You feed a lot less of it than all those store bought brands. Also to help keep the teeth clean I give each dog (I have 9 show dogs!) a knuckle bone which they can eat all of it except for the hard small ring of bone. This is an excellent source of minerals and it really is great to keep their teeth clean. Oh, and they will get white poops from it! So don't worry about that. It's just the broken down bone.

As soon as my pups are ready to eat food they get raw buffalo, goat yogurt, a raw egg (1 raw egg for all of the pups eating out of the same bowl) a little raw liver, raw heart, pumpkin or summer squash. I never feed them any grains. Their stools are always perfect and they put on more muscle than fat.

My adults get the Taste of the Wild, high prairie formula with some raw buffalo meat, a little raw liver and a raw egg every couple of days. ( I have my own chicken so they are getting farm fresh eggs! Even the chickens get a great diet! Boy their eggs are great! )

If I could afford to stick to a raw homemade diet for all my dogs I would. But finances are tight these days and my dogs do great on this kibble with the other stuff added.

I agree, read the ingredients of all the foods. IMO any foods with grains in them are crap. Feed your dog the best and you'll have fewer vet costs too.

I have used some canned foods but stick to the ones that are only meat, nothing else in them. Evangers and Merrick canned foods are pretty good. I keep those on hand in case I run out of raw buffalo meat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most dog foods are the requirement to kepp your dog healthy and tough in worse situations. My dog is using Moist dog food since last 2 yr.

I recommend you to go for the same. And also look here from where i brought nutritional moist dog food product online --> Moist Dog Food

:rockon:

·
Registered
79 Posts
masterfrm, I checked out that website where you buy your food from. Which food do you buy? In reading what they have about their dog foods, there are no ingredient lists. The closest one had a partial ingredient list which read:

It provides proteins derived from meat and oily fish, vitamins, minerals and cereals like rice, corn and wheat which deliver the correct amount of fibre essential for the wellbeing of the digestive system. Omega fatty acids are guaranteed by whole flax seeds (Omega 3), whole soy seeds and oily fish (Omega 6).

Note the word "Cereals". Corn, wheat and soy are known allergens. Plus they use a process for the fats they put in their foods makes those fats NOT good!

Here is info on that: Homogenization: This is the process whereby the fat particles of cream are strained through tiny pores under great pressure. The resulting fat particles are so small that they stay in suspension rather than rise to the top of the milk. This makes the fat and cholesterol more susceptible to rancidity and oxidation, and some research indicates that homogenized fats may contribute to heart disease.

There are a bazillion websites out there to help you in your research of dog foods and everything that goes in them. Use them to your and your dogs advantage when making decisions about what to feed your animals.

Check it out and do research on Any food that you buy for your dog(s).

(Sorry, this post is longer than I thought it would be! :eek:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love Pets !!!

Wet food alone does not provide this abrasive action. But, there are of course, additional measures you can take to address dental hygiene, and dry food alone may not prevent all potential dental problems your pet may face.

I think you must look for flavored wet food like one here ---> WET DOG FOOD

:rockon:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wet food (as in canned or raw) is better than kibble as it won't build up along the teeth and gum line. Kibble will never clean teeth, teeth get dirtier with kibble and with soft foods.

The only things that clean teeth are real bones. Especially knuckle bones. (The head of the long bones.) As the knuckle part can be gnawed on and it breaks off tiny pieces that are like sand paper that will scrape the dogs teeth. Plus the dogs can eat these tiny pieces and it gives them much needed minerals.

Also brushing your dogs teeth every day, just like us humans! :)

Dogs fed all raw diets NEVER get dirty teeth! Also their breath never smells.

Just some food for thought! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love Dogs !

Wet or canned dog food is significantly higher in moisture than dry or semi-moist food. Because the food is sterilized after being canned (sometimes it is also cooked in the can), it is often easier to ensure the sterility of wet food.

I want to know more about how much to feed these wet foods to my dog ????
Thank you ! :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
First things to consider when feeding a raw or canned foods to your dog.
It all depends on the size, weight and activity. The more active your dog the more you feed. Watch their weight as this will give you the best indication of how much you need to feed your dog.

What kind of dog do you have?

Here is an example I'll give you between 3 of my dogs (All are Kerry Blue Terriers.) that are fed a totally raw diet.
Dog number one: 30 lbs, very muscular normal active dog. She gets 2 1/2 cups raw food once a day.
Dog number 2: 35 lbs, not active, 1 1/2 cups per day.
Dog number 3: 35 lbs, super active, never stops!, 3 cups per day.
Plus they get a knuckle bone. The knuckle bones last about a week for each dog. (Some dogs will differ. Depends on how much they like chewing.)

If your going to go with a all canned diet, be sure to get a canned food that is very dense. It's why I like Evangers canned foods. They have a bunch of different flavors and are loaded with either just a certain meat, or different meats with veggies and or sweet potatoes.

You can start out feeding the same amount of raw or canned foods as Kibble. If your dog starts to loose or gain weight, adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as a more moist food, I have a couple of suggestions for you. One is called Natural Balance dog food rolls. They come in various flavors (lamb, turkey, beef) and sizes. They can be sliced, cut up, or grated. The unused portion must be refrigerated. They have good ingredients and are made by Natural Balance. See their website for more info. www.naturalbalance.com
Another food comes under 2 different names (basically same food). It is called Deli Fresh or Fresh Select. Again, a roll type of food. But, I think they are also making treats and a chunk type now. I actually find this food in my local grocery store. Good ingredients. The unused portion must be refrigerated. They also come in different flavors. See their websites www.delifreshpet.com or www.freshpetselect.com

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try "The Honest Kitchen". Their food is Dehydrated Raw Dog Food. It comes in a powder form with all Human Grade Ingredients, no by-products or filler etc. All you do is add warm water to 1 cup of food. You can add more or less water depending on how moist you want the food. You wait about 10 minutes and, presto, you have moist food. It's safe since it's been dehydrated. I've been giving this food, ever since the dogfood recall, to both my min pins and they are doing great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts