Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm taking care of my elderly mother who would like a cute little Yorkie, or Shih Tzu type of dog. But I'm going to be doing the exercising, and I like to go on hikes up to about 5 miles. I'm open to any breed or mix that has maximum cuteness (and soft fur), but with some hiking stamina. It would be an inside dog when not out with me, and never be left unattended because my mom is pretty immobile. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
There are usually lots of scruffy little terrier types in shelters/rescues. Look for one that's about 2-3 years old, and look for rescues or shelters that do fostering; it's easier for them to tell you what the dog's personality is really like when the dog is in a home environment as opposed to a shelter. They should be able to tell you better if the dog is a good fit for you.

Honestly, you just described my little terrier mix to a T - content to settle and cuddle when you're sitting, but always up for adventure. We hike quite a bit and she's got great stamina. I see dogs similar to her all the time on sites like adoptapet and petfinder....and I have to struggle not to bring every single one home :)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
My rescue mutt is bigger than you want (but very cute and soft) and he's the same way, comatose inside, endurance for days outside. If I were you, I'd just look on adoptapet or petfinder for "terrier mix" and see what comes up.

You do not, however, want a puppy. You can't take puppies for walks that long.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts