Dog Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Sable, 1, Belgian Malinois/Husky; Morgan, 10, Lab/Husky, Cocoa, 7, GSD/Chesapeake Bay Retriever
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is Sable, my 1 year old Belgian Malinois/Husky mix.

Wondering from any owners of these mixes, or from Malinois or Husky owners, of when they start to even out. Cocoa, my GSD/Chesapeake Mix took about 2 years. I bring her out every single day for a truck run, which is approximately 4 miles. We then go for a 3 mile leisurely walk in the snow around town. The long runs, I only do a couple times a week. Lately, I’ve been bringing them out on foot out in the woods and around the shoreline of the frozen lakes to do some sniffing and run around in the deep snow to wear them out. Sable likes to counter surf, and will shred any plush toy she gets. She’s shredded our pillows, our blankets, she chewed on one of our wooden pillars on our colonial deck outside. This is our 3rd time dealing with puppy behavior like this, and I am just checking to see if anyone has any suggestions for me, for Sable. Thanks much!!!
Dog Snow Dog supply Carnivore Dog breed

·
Registered
Sable, 1, Belgian Malinois/Husky; Morgan, 10, Lab/Husky, Cocoa, 7, GSD/Chesapeake Bay Retriever
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, here’s a picture of the 3 of the sweet angels together.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Floor

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
Rather than ”when” she will even out, maybe a better question is ”whether”.

My question is how much mental stimulation does she get? Both breeds in her mix are working dogs, Mals in particular think for themselves, and a dog like that without a job will create their own - like shredding or chewing things. All the exercise is fine but that just creates a super-fit athlete that you can never tire out.

So, if you don't do something like this already, my suggestion would be to get into activities with her like agility, obedience, scentwork, mantrailing, flyball - whatever appeals.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Hey all, this is Sable, my 1 year old Belgian Malinois/Husky mix.

Wondering from any owners of these mixes, or from Malinois or Husky owners, of when they start to even out. Cocoa, my GSD/Chesapeake Mix took about 2 years. I bring her out every single day for a truck run, which is approximately 4 miles. We then go for a 3 mile leisurely walk in the snow around town. The long runs, I only do a couple times a week. Lately, I’ve been bringing them out on foot out in the woods and around the shoreline of the frozen lakes to do some sniffing and run around in the deep snow to wear them out. Sable likes to counter surf, and will shred any plush toy she gets. She’s shredded our pillows, our blankets, she chewed on one of our wooden pillars on our colonial deck outside. This is our 3rd time dealing with puppy behavior like this, and I am just checking to see if anyone has any suggestions for me, for Sable. Thanks much!!!
The suggestion I have is to correct your dog.

The fundamental principle in dog training is to reward what you want and correct what you don't want.

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
Rule 13

·
Banned
11 Posts
The dog is 12 months, has working line genetics, is counter surfing, and being all around disobedient and your advice is to " get into activities with her like agility, obedience, scentwork, mantrailing, flyball - whatever appeals." , while ignoring the behavior LOL

I would fix this problem in 5 minutes.

I use all quadrants in training including positive punishment.

How does your dog ever understand the word "NO"

Just like "yes" is a marker for correct behavior and the consequence is a food reward or praise

"No" is marker for incorrect behavior and there needs to be a consequence there too.

What you are describing is what pros like me call "fluff" training

It's all BS

·
Registered
521 Posts
When my german Shepherd was a puppy I made sure there were tons of chewable items around for when she wanted to chew or play.

In addition to bones and toys, I had plenty of plastic jugs and bottles laying around - just the recycling stuff, so it could be recycled and replaced when it started to get frayed.

That, and train train train! I found that teaching impulse control types of things bled over to other behaviors. Concepts like "leave it", "drop it", long down-stays, waiting to go through a doorway until released, etc.

I also taught her to jump up on things, and to jump off (which would help with the counter surfing!). Interesting mix, both pretty active breeds. Mals are very very athletic dogs!

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
Hmm. Yes, to a degree, we all use the four quadrants, but
No" is marker for incorrect behavior
no is an interruptor that leaves a behaviour vacuum.

There are reasons why reward based training is effective, but I it's late here and I'm on the wrong device to create lengthy replies.

In the spirit of positive reinforcement though, if you hang around you may be surprised.

It's all BS
That attitude only blocks your openness to new techniques. And, isn't an attitude that will get you any support.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Hmm. Yes, to a degree, we all use the four quadrants, but no is an interruptor that leaves a behaviour vacuum.

There are reasons why reward based training is effective, but I it's late here and I'm on the wrong device to create lengthy replies.

In the spirit of positive reinforcement though, if you hang around you may be surprised.

That attitude only blocks your openness to new techniques. And, isn't an attitude that will get you any support.
I use 95 plus percent positive reinforcement in my training and no one denies its effectiveness.

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
use 95 plus percent positive reinforcement in my training.
Great - so why describe it as ”fluff”? And I'm not even sure why you are arguing with me, I just gently pointed out that we don't allow promotion or recommendation of aversive tools and techniques. That said, I haven't watched the videos, it is late here but I will look in the morning.

However, this thread needs nudged back on topic.

Edited - videos referred to above have been deleted as they breach our rules on promoting aversive tools and techniques.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Great - so why describe it as ”fluff”? And I'm not even sure why you are arguing with me, I just gently pointed out that we don't allow promotion or recommendation of aversive tools and techniques. That said, I haven't watched the videos, it is late here but I will look in the morning.

However, this thread needs nudged back on topic.

Edited - videos referred to above have been deleted as they breach our rules on promoting aversive tools and techniques.
The videos were on using "NO" and "Yes" marker

dumb **** - language edited by moderator

1 - 16 of 16 Posts