Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my beagle-boxer mix, Nova, about 2 1/2 years ago, and she has always displayed strange symptoms. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen something similar so I can know which direction to look for answers.

She drinks a TON of water. When I got her from a vet clinic, the vet told me this about her, and suggested I fill her bowl, then fill it again. I tried this, but baby girl always wants more, and I'm not about to tell her no when she's clearly thirsty. By this point, she has a 2.5 gallon replenishing water bowl, and she goes through this in about 3 days. Thanks to winter/covid weight, she's about 50 lbs right now, so based on what I've read she is drinking waayyy more than she should need. It's not like she's going to her water bowl non-stop all day. It's more that when she does drink, she drinks like she just can't get enough fast enough, and spends a long time doing it.

She's a couch potato most of the time, but every evening, from dinner time to bed time, she asks to go potty roughly every 20 minutes. And she's really going each time, too. Usually a lot, but considering how much water she's drinking, it makes sense. The part that confuses me is that she ONLY does this in the evening. And as soon as she comes back inside, she goes straight to her water bowl to refill so we can do it all again in 20 minutes.

If the "drinking problem" was the only symptom, I'd write it off as a quirk, but there's two other things that concern me. One, at certain times during the year, she gets dark spots on her chest, belly, and (big ones) inside of her back legs. The rest of the time, she's got a white/pink belly. But then sometimes I'll look at her and realize her spots are back. Is this normal? Are they like freckles? Do freckles even disappear and reappear like this?

(please ignore the embarrassing length of her claws)

Lastly, and most concerning, is that it's becoming a pattern that she gets mysteriously ill every few months. I've tried allergy treats, but I don't know if it helped. Last November was the worst yet. She was so sick that she pretty much didn't move. I had to bring her food and water to her, and she wouldn't stand to eat or drink. There was no sign of injury, she didn't have diarrhea, and we never really figured out what it was. The vet ran several tests, and even tested for Addison's disease. Eventually we had her on an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory, and pain medication, and she finally got back to her old self. About a month before that I had her at the vet because she was sick (not as bad), and we thought she was poisoned from eating acorns.

TL;DR My dog drinks like an alcoholic, potties every 20 minutes but only in the evening, sometimes has spots and sometimes doesn't, and seems to get sick every few months.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there anything you think we should have her tested for? Am I just a paranoid mom looking for patterns when there are none? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went thru this with my Bully (Brutus).The water consumption. We ran all kinds of tests, blood panels and all, as I thought something was wrong. He would and even at times still does, drink so much he throws up. No other health problems, we have concluded he's just a thirsty hog. HAHA.

·
Super Moderator
3,639 Posts
I wonder if the drinking is a behavioural issue rather than medical - if she has had water removed in the evening when she was a puppy in a misguided attempt to help with toilet training? This is one of the reasons we don't recommend denying access to water.

The mystery illness and pigmentation - sorry, no idea but maybe keep a diary to see if you can identify anything?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts