Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,609 Posts
Honestly, no such dog exists. I don't want to be blunt--but you're basically asking for a dog that has 0 issues and requires very little work to own. If these are your expectations, I would opt for a different type of pet. The only one of these that you can (most likely) "guarantee" in any dog is "under 20 lbs".

Dogs with hair don't shed, but they need to be groomed on the regular. This also doesn't make them "hypoallergenic", unless you happen to be allergic to fur. Dogs with short fur may not need to be groomed a lot, but they shed and do need to be brushed to get the dead fur out.

Most dogs under 20 lbs will be sensitive to the cold.

Dogs that make good watch dogs are dogs that like to bark at things.

All dogs can experience separation anxiety.

No dog is truly "easy to train", it's a matter of whether or not you know how to train. A dog could be the most difficult dog for an inexperienced person, but be a breeze for someone who has experience training dogs.

There are breeds that require little exercise, but these are usually companion breeds that are pretty prone to separation anxiety due to their nature.

· Registered
1,609 Posts
I would say a Shetland sheep dog.

But all the things you named are possible in any dog you get.

Shelties are fairly easy to train and willing to work, they are good guard dogs and family dogs.

They do require some brushing out with the longer hair, but other then that they are good.

Any dog you get need exercise, some of the smallest dogs can walk a long ways and still be bouncing off the walls when you get home.

I wouldn't look into a whole bunch of designer dogs because you will end up paying a lot more with not a whole lot of health guarantee and not so good bloodlines.

I hope this helped :)
Shelties require a lot of grooming, are high energy, are usually over 20 lbs, very vocal, and can be difficult to get out of their mouthy phase.

1 - 2 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.