Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm calling in the troops for some help. I'm currently brain storming with DCH (Thanks for your help again) on finding a good quality diet for my boxer who has mast cell cancer. I want to find something that has no corn, wheat, soy, by products and preservatives. I'm not totally opposed to feeding a raw diet, or even a partical raw diet, but i don't know much about it. I worry bout Samonella with Chicken. And I'm just new to the idea. I'm basically out to try and beat the odds. So here's what I've gathered so far from reading other posts on here.

He's currently getting Diamond natuals- no soy, wheat, corn. With a about 1/2 cup of canned food (pedigree). <---I know that's not the best.

Taste of the wild- good food, looking for more info

Nature's Variety raw diets- looking for more information

Natural balance- Good? Sweet patato good or bad?

Veggies, Lamb, duck, and beef- good or bad? digestability?

Thanks in advance!

Becky N Toby (boxer in the picture <-----)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been searching the internet. And looking around my local feed store. Canidae has come out with a new food. It's Grain free with Salmon. Here's the ingredient list

CANIDAE All Natural Ingredients
Salmon meal, potatoes, potato protein, ocean fish meal, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), peas, tomato pomace, natural flavor, choline chloride, sun cured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid, cobalt proteinate, organic selenium, papaya, pineapple.

But When I've been looking into the Raw diets and all natural diets it recomends to feed much less then what is posted on most dog food bags. I like the thought of that. I picked up a bag of raw turkey made by northwest naturals. It actually works out pretty good cuz I put his pills in the nuggets and he gobbles it right up. But It only comes in 1#, 3# and 6#. I don't know bout sticking with this company. I was also looking into Natures variety, which I can order from my local store, and the owner said she would give it to me just 10 over cost. And they have kibble, can and raw. What are your thoughts on that?

This is becoming an obcession...I'm learning that some of my other dogs have small issues by reading up on the effects of the ingredients. Which is making me want to go natural for all my dogs.....my poor bank account is going to need a stimulus lol.

Anyway off to the desert for easter! Have a Great weekend everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
check out dogcancerinfo.com
They have a lot of testimonials you can read about other dogs that have gone through cancer treatment.
They actually make their own dog food. It's called BirkDale PetMix. You add water and meat. It is healthy, all natural, no grain!!!
I think their products could really help you dog.
Best of luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, Taste of the Wild is a good grain free kibble, but if you want the top of the line check out Orijen. It isn't heat processed and contains 75%meat, no fillers and grain free.
That is also available at dogcancerinfo.com

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Just an fyi dogs cannot get salmonella. Also have you asked your vet on any advice for food for your little guy? I have heard many good stories about raw diets and especially with dogs with cancer. However always keep in mine each dog is different just like humans are and some dogs can have an allergy or upset stomach to all natural foods. GL please keep us updated on your baby.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you decide to put your dogs on a high protein/organic diet take into consideration that higher quality foods might have high protein 25%+. If so, feedings should be slightly smaller depending on the percentage. Some brands have over 35% protein.

Though it is expensive, feedings are much smaller due to the higher calories the food impose by it having such high amounts of nutrients and protein the dog can absorb rather turning them into wast. (Evo, wellness, Innova, home made etc.)

There are so many people with inactive dogs (not the dogs fault, the owners) who get fed the same amount on these high quality foods thinking they are doing good for the dog when they are probably hurting it.

Imagine eating a huge steak dinner with green beans and baked potatoes every single day and not burning some calories. Feed your dog accordingly.

ps.. the order of ingredients in the dog food plays a big role of what "really" is in the bag. Especially the first 3. If the meat product is not the first item DONT BUY IT. And it cant be by-product or rice. Venison, Whole Chicken, Beef , lamb etc.. always first depending on the flavor you buy.

HTH

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, Taste of the Wild is a good grain free kibble, but if you want the top of the line check out Orijen. It isn't heat processed and contains 75%meat, no fillers and grain free.
That is also available at dogcancerinfo.com
Orijen is definitely top of the line but very pricey, i use Innova.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The 2 that come up over and over again in discussions on the pet wholesale sites I belong to are Orijen and Taste of the Wild. The pet store owners that have really learned about the good, the bad and the ugly in pet food choose those 2.

Innova, EVO (part of Innova) are also mentioned but the top 2 are Orijen and Taste of the Wild.

Canidae has recently changed the ingredients and there have been quite a few reports of dogs that will not tolerate it. I don't know about the new stuff. Just an FYI.

Hope some of this helps. I'm passing on info from people that know more than I do!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know of quite a few dogs, my Boxer included, who have had some issues with the change in Canidae. Nothing serious, upset stomachs. I now feed him wellness core - and he is doing great on it.

Look at dogfoodanalysis.com for ideas on dry food. Click on reviews to read.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
What about orijen-I think it has no grain in it. And it's pricey but really it's not that much more then other food-might be worth a go.
Orijen

What is mast cell cancer? Is your dog getting treatment? {{Healing Vibes}]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mast Cell Cancer is where the body is producing to much histamines...they become allergic to themselves is my take on it all. I was treating him with an herbal remedy I found online that helped out alot. However I did have to put him down about a month ago because he had very labored breathing and it was very hot. I couldn't see putting him through more. But I learned alot along the way but hope to never have to deal with it again. He did last 6 months which was alot longer then the vet anticipated. He was only given 2 weeks (that was before I found the herbal remedy).

Thank you all for all the information. Learning about good vs bad will be never ending.

FYI: I spoke to the owner of Canidae and they were aware of the problems that people were having with the food and have changed it again. I'm not having the issues I was having last year with it. I did feed TOW but I was getting eaten out of house and home. So I switch between TOW, Kirkland and Canidae (not cold switches though always proper mixes).

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. It's a hard decision to make *hugs*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts