Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a beautiful 10 year old golden retriever. His name is Theodore and he weighs about 100 lbs. For almost the past two years he has been in and out of the vets office due to arthritis, he has had 3-4 seizures, bad hips, he is slightly overweight, and his teeth are worn to the minimum from mischievous activities. His diet consists of Nutra's dry food for seniors (chicken, brown rice, and oatmeal mixture), mixed with Nutro's adult (fish and sweet potato). The complete last bulk of food that we bought from petsmart ended up being somewhat discolored. After feeding him the wet food, i realized that it did not agree with his stomach, causing belly aches and diarrhea. (i feel terrible). Unfortunately, Theodore had a seizure on Sunday. I am starting to wonder if these commercial dog foods are the best option for him. Due to his upset stomach, I am feeding him chicken breasts, steamed white rice, and slightly steamed mixed vegetables and i break open two fish oil capsules and pour it over his food. I realize that this diet is missing some key vitamins and nutrients that dogs need to prosper. (Calcium for starters)

Are there multi-vitamins or supplements that will satisfy his nutritional requirements?

Also, what exactly are the correct portions to give a dog of 100 lbs? (serving sizes of protein-carbs)

He is one of the most loving and heartwarming dogs that I will ever meet and we ultimately want a more healthier life style for him. Any inputs will be thoroughly considered and greatly appreciated.

Much thanks from Theo and the gang!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been reading Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats and it is loaded with all kinds of recipes for different situations and how to feed and supplements. And, as a bonus, he uses plain English so it's easy to understand. I definitely suggest taking a look at it.
After reading his book and doing some research, I have decided to feed my new puppy the Honest Kitchen...

·
Registered
495 Posts
With my cats, I was a huge fan of Stella and Chewy's raw foods. They get five stars on Dog Food Advisor, and you can go for either frozen or freeze dried for dogs.

There are vitamin regimens you can get at pet stores, but I don't know if they assume vitamins from food or not. The reputable breeder that I'm on a waiting list for suggests NuVet vitamins; she has all her dogs on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts