Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My wife and I are seriously considering adopting a dog(s).

Our living situation will be a two bedroom apartment and we will be gone throughout the day. We're considering getting two so that they will not be lonely. I am seeking the advise of more experienced dog owners.

What sorts of things should we first consider?
What sorts of breeds would work best in this sort of environment?
Any other general advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Personally, I would not start with two. Dogs don't need to have a buddy at home, and it can be way more than twice the work (from what I've heard). Also, not all dogs are dog-social, and wouldn't care whether or not they have a dog buddy. Being at home alone for 6-8 hours is fine as long as you give the dog plenty of exercise before and after work, and crate them if they need it (some dogs pace or get anxiety) or at least leave them in a puppy-safe room.

For what types of dogs work in apartments, it is more about your lifestyle than not having a backyard. Any dog can do well in an apartment if the owner is engaging with them enough. That said, being that you'll be away for a large chunk of the day, I would stay away from ANY terrier breeds, herding breeds or high energy breeds. Also keep in mind that a lot of apartments have breed restrictions.

What type of dog are you looking for? How many hours a day do you want to spend walking/training/grooming/actively engaged with him? I've heard retired greyhounds make great apartment dogs. Bichon Frise are also great first-time-dog-owner dogs from what I've read. Are you looking for a specific size?

This was a good post on the topic: http://www.dogforum.com/new-additions/looking-good-apartment-dog-74626/

·
Registered
234 Posts
Most - not all - dogs can be apartment dogs. They just need the right care, - exercise being on the top of that list. I would agree that working/herding dogs aren't great in an apartment. I would also advise that in such close proximity to your neighbors, dogs that are considered more vocal than others should be avoided, as your neighbors may end up hating you. And in most complexes, if you get more than 3 noise complaints in a year, they can evict you.

I am lucky enough to live in a complex that gives me a privately fenced huge half cement, half grass patio, where I can let him outside as if I had a yard. They also know his breed, and are fine with it. But that is rare, which is why I will stay here until I buy a home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts