Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I haven't posted in a while. I've just been really busy, but I would like some some thoughts on our 4th dog Rascal.
I will say, even when we first got him, I knew that Rascal was going to be different from the rest of our pack. He's reluctant...always reluctant when it comes to doing what is requested of him. I always feel like he is doing me a huge favor just when he decides to come to me, lets not even talk about sitting! He has a hard bite that I have not been able to train out of him so far. (OUCH!!!)
He is sooooo freaking lazy. I mean he is a puppy. He is only 9 or 10 months and he is getting progressively lazier. I told my husband that he will soon grow roots.
He is aloof. He will not invest in greeting us until we actively engage him, but he is clingy too. He always wants to have everyone he knows is home somewhere that he can see them, and will cry, bark, and howl when they are not for 30 minutes or more. He has even gone so far as to pull down the the gate that separates the kitchen from the rest of the house.
He plunders. I mean he actively tries to look for something that he might find interesting. He loves stuffed animals, and while his stuffed animals are great, but my daughter's are much much better.

I just don't know what to think. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how best to bond with him, but mostly I just wonder how I got this odd mix of lazy, aloof, clingy, hyper-focused dog. Does anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
How old was he when you got him and from what situation? My dog seemed very aloof and unmotivated, however, he is extremely sensitive and emotional, he was just traumatized and shut down. He didn't respond to cues well because he expected punishment as a part of training. It took a long time, a lot of patience and treats to get through all that. Plus, he's not very bright, so there's limits to what he can do.

The plundering sounds like a bored teenage dog. How much exercise is he getting, how much interaction? Do you feed him from a bowl? If so, switch to a feeding toy or puzzle to engage his mind.

Above all, stay positive. No punishments at all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How old was he when you got him and from what situation?
He was somewhere between 12-16 weeks. He went through quite a lot as a small pup. We had initially adopted his brother, but on the 4th day home we found out he had parvo...we called the shelter and all 3 puppies had contracted it. Although one of them barely had any affects, the pup we adopted was overtaken by the illness, and Rascal nearly was too. HE had to spend about 2-3 weeks without much interaction besides tubings and shots and IVs. They had to move the other pup out because he was too rambunctious for Rascal. We have had him for 5 months now. At first he was pretty disconnected. As a matter of fact the clingy has been within the last 2 months or so. Around the time puberty kicked in I think.

My dog seemed very aloof and unmotivated, however, he is extremely sensitive and emotional, he was just traumatized and shut down.
I do think we dealt with this for quite a while, although no one was intentionally cruel to him he spent a very long while when he was sick associating ppl with getting hurt.

Plus, he's not very bright, so there's limits to what he can do.
Ha! I feel like Rascal is very smart, or at least extremely analytical, but he doesn't seem to be particularly motivated by anything. He always has to think about whether or not he wants something enough to engage with you.
BUT he loves to "meet" new people. Not really interact, just give them a good checking out (at least 5-10 minutes of circle sniffing).

The plundering sounds like a bored teenage dog. How much exercise is he getting, how much interaction? Do you feed him from a bowl? If so, switch to a feeding toy or puzzle to engage his mind.
We have a large backyard and wooded area that they have access too all day, but I will be honest structured exercise is limited. I would say about 3 hours a day total, and about an hour a day of focused attention. I might give the toy a shot...but, we will have to see with a 4 dog pack I am a little leery of items that could instigate strife. I might incorporate it into his focused time.

Thanks for all your input.

Any good tips for a hard bite. I have used the yip and disengage method for a while now, but it doesn't seem to sink in with him that the reason that is happening is because he is biting. He does understand a firm "No" in calm situations, but it's less useful when he is revved up or stressed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.