Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after having both pups on Go! Sensitivity grain free, we are not seeing any improvement. Orangey-green very soft poops. Fecals are negative.

We have blocked off all areas in the back yard that I'm suspicious about with fencing, effectively eliminating my worry about getting into anything outdoors. I've decided that I think they must not be able to handle the grain-exclusive richness of the kibble (which is a little strange because they seem to do alright on raw, but oh well, not an option currently).

With that in mind, I'm looking for some good high quality grain-inclusive foods. We currently pay about 80 (Canadian) for a 25 pound bag, so anywhere around that (or even a little more expensive) is fine.

The stores we have near us are: Pet Valu, PetsMart, and a couple of small local stores. I would prefer to not order online, but I'm open to suggestions (keeping in mind Chewy doesn't ship to Canada).

Thanks in advance everyone. My husband and I, my poor dogs, and Levi's pants thank you. :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
What about the other GO! kibble? I know their line tends to include brown rice and oatmeal to their mixes? I am a fan of Petcureans foods.

What kibbles have you tried before? I think you had a thread on it but I couldn't find it. Did Levi have these problems before you had Heidi?

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Still seems so odd that both dogs (unrelated) are having the exact same issue. Have you changed treats or anything? We currently feed Fromm and like it, but of course every dog is different.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the other GO! kibble? I know their line tends to include brown rice and oatmeal to their mixes? I am a fan of Petcureans foods.

What kibbles have you tried before? I think you had a thread on it but I couldn't find it. Did Levi have these problems before you had Heidi?
Hmmm, I haven't tried the grain inclusive version of Go, that is definitely an option.

We have tried: Taste of the Wild (all proteins), Earthborn Hollistic (Lamb), and now the Go! Sensitivity.

Levi had the best poops around before we got Heidi. Taste of the Wild, no problems. Ever. Then we got Heidi, who had Hookworm, and then Giardia, and we've never recovered.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still seems so odd that both dogs (unrelated) are having the exact same issue. Have you changed treats or anything? We currently feed Fromm and like it, but of course every dog is different.
We tried to do a full cleanse. We've been using their kibble for training, no treats of any kind. It is baffling. The vet thought maybe Levi had IBS, but he's always been fine with everything, and Heidi has it too, so I'm reluctant to think that.

I'm getting a little tired of paying for fecals and having them come back negative, but I'm seriously thinking of getting another one done.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
We tried to do a full cleanse. We've been using their kibble for training, no treats of any kind. It is baffling. The vet thought maybe Levi had IBS, but he's always been fine with everything, and Heidi has it too, so I'm reluctant to think that.

I'm getting a little tired of paying for fecals and having them come back negative, but I'm seriously thinking of getting another one done.
I don't blame you, that's frustrating.

What about going to a bland diet for a week or 2? Like rice and chicken only diet?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would honestly think that they still have giardia somehow. Have they been testing for giardia too? I know that it can seem like it goes away and then comes back in waves. It has the capabilities to be latent. I am unsure if that can affect the tests but it seems suspicious. The weirdest thing is that Levi didn't have any problems before Heidi, it has to be some type of parasite or disease IMO. IBS is something that can be onset after stress (bringing in a new puppy) or just as they age.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I would second the boiled hamburger/chicken and rice diet for a week or 2 and then go from there. I would also try Champion's Acana Singles line - they are LID, in case it's a protein issue, and still grain free.

I also, and I know I'll get flack for this, wouldn't hesitate to use a vet food like RC gastro - at least until everyone's tummy settled then you can try to wean onto a food/protein you haven't tried.

Last month, well actually November and December, Tessa gave me a scare by vomiting everywhere for multiple days (we're talking over the course of 2 weeks), her poop had mucous in it too; otherwise she acted normally. We did X-rays just in case and nothing was found. I put her on RC Mod calorie wet and dry for the month and BAM back to normal. We weaned her back on Acana Pacifica with gastro wet for the time, eventually weaning her back exclusively to the Pacifica but it definitely helped in the short term and it's nice knowing there is a back up just in case. There are a lot worse foods than the rx ones at the vet clinic, plus there really is a lot of research done to formulate the foods. I mean I may not use them long term, but I've found they work and it saved me from starting the food rollercoaster for a digestive upset.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@jclark343 - I think I will try that diet.
@ThatYellowDog - I also think they have a parasite. At least I almost hope that's their problem. Poor dogs. Levi has had so much hair trimmed out of his pants from poop. Good lord.
@KayWilson - I'm going to try the super bland diet. I will also look into Acana, I think there is a local store that has some. I'm also not opposed to try something like RC or Hills. I am just feeling awful for them. I'd like to exhaust all food options before subjecting them to a biopsy.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
@KayWilson you want to check out royal canin NZ site for thier ingredients absolutely disgusting nad hte US version ingredeints sound so much nicer! i honestly question royal canin NZ with the ingredients they use how it works etc id just love to question them on that!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I've bought chicken and rice, and am ready to give them some bland food. How do I know how much to give them? Is it comparable to how much they eat in kibble or? Levi currently gets 1.5 cups twice a day, and 1 cup for lunch (although this was just so he would gain some weight, so I'm flexible there) and Heidi gets 3/4 cup 3 times a day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts