Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a homemade flirt stick that Alfred enjoys a lot. Trouble is that he's gotten used to it. It's become too routine because he will play for 10 minutes or so and then start veering toward the gate, ready to go for a run. So I have to get his attention and rope him back into playing just so I can decide it's time to stop instead of him. That got me thinking...what else could I use to play that will get the job done similar to a flirt stick? I'm open to most anything-even better if I can make it myself. Thanks all!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I actually tried something similar with our clothes line. He didn't seem too keen on it. Maybe it was the horizontal pull versus the vertical? Maybe he didn't trust the clothesline to not break (I could secure it to the clothesline pole, I suppose).

Thinking more, I'm pretty sure I have to be participating as well. He would lose interest with that version of the spring pole when I let go. When I try to let him run around the yard with the flirt stick and toy, he stops shortly after I drop it (hoping he will just run and tire himself out). I have no problems with participating, I just think he is getting used to the flirt stick.

More ideas are welcome, but I will try changing out the toy itself too! Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
My issue with the spring pole, is that I know a motivated dog can/will eventually break a big trampoline-type spring. Seems dangerous. Some dogs will pull all day though, so a great release!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run him most days. A little over a mile. Uphills, downhills, straightaways. Flirt stick is usually the prelude to that so he behaves a little better on the run and so he is actually tired. The entire thing sometimes looks too routine to him, so I'm looking to change it up somehow-find something other than the flirt stick, or secure another toy to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to have a pitbull cross neapolitan mastiff. I used to buy roast beef femur bones,which last a while. Her other favourite was a coconut! Get one your dog can hold in it"s mouth. The first one I had to crack, she loved the water. Afterwards she would either crack in her jaws, or throw it until it broke. Remember to retrieve the bits of shell,but your dog will love the flesh. Don't worry about the flesh it just passes straight through undigested.

·
Registered
291 Posts
BikeJoring is THE number one way to tire my dog.
Ten minutes should be enough with a flirt pole to get your dog ready for an outing, but like mentioned above, changing the toy on the end to a rope, then ball, maybe a kong is a great way to keep the interest going.

This may be a bit off topic but if your dog is a chewer, bison horns are fantastic for tough chewers.
I used to give Molly antlers, and they are awesome, but they seemed a bit hard on her teeth.
The sound of crunching on it kinda drove me a bit crazy as well.
The bison horn seems to be "softer" on her teeth, and lasts incredibly long.
This one she has now is on her second month and she is still loving it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
My dog, Drew, LOVES his Jolly Egg. He thinks it's the best thing since dog kibble.
It's a hard plastic egg, very slippery, rolls and bounces erratically and is tons of fun! He only gets to play with it a few times a week, so it retains it's value and playability. They are especially fun in the snow, since he will play with it on his own and it's extra slippery/slides around a lot more on the snow. He has only gotten one tooth in it one time, and while it is a little beat up, my dog doesn't seem to mind.
Another toy to consider would be the Jolly Pets Push-n-Play, they come in 10- and 14-inch diameters. While I don't have one of these for my dog yet, I have a friend with a pit who hasn't been able to wear hers down, and she's had it for close to a year. She has the 14-inch diameter for her pup.
Good luck finding a new toy! Toys can be so hit or miss with dogs.. You just don't know until you try!

Edited to add: shop around for Jolly products. Amazon doesn't usually have the best price for them. I got Drew's egg from dogsupplies.com when it was on sale, I paid right around the $10 mark for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with the jolly egg! It's great!

Otherwise the only toys my dogs like are nylabones (the super huge ones, even if it's too big for them they ignore the smaller ones.)

Also there is this tire by kong that they will chase. Pet Supplies : Pet Chew Toys : KONG Traxx Dog Toy, Medium/Large : Amazon.com

My pit bulls have tore up 75% of the toys I find them. Jolly Egg, Large Nylabones, and the kong tire are the only toys that survive them long term.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.