Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the board and looking for some advice.

I have an 11 year old beagle mix that was seen by his vet last Tuesday for an ear infection. He had a yellow/brown discharge, constant scratching/rubbing the ear and balance was off (when he'd jump up quickly or walk for extended periods of time, seemed to be unsteady and dizzy. He wasn't falling over, and it wasn't all the time). The vet said his ear was "very red and very inflamed". After taking a swab and looking under the microscope, there was no bacteria or yeast so I was told it was probably do to allergies or just "one of those things" since he doesn't have a history of ear infections. Blood test also came back fine. He was eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom fine. The vet gave him a steroid shot for the inflammation and told us to do the Zymox w/ hydrocortisone for 10 days.

The next day he seemed worse. Balance off worse, ear was extremely wet. This continued to get worse with a large amount of fluid in the ear, lots of gunk in the ear but not coming out, and balance worse off. It's hard to understate how much water was in his ear. Also, he didn't want to get up to go outside and wasn't eating or drinking nearly as much as normally. Finally, on Saturday we quit giving him the Zymox. He improved somewhat Sunday and improved more today (Monday). Still not as active but back to eating and going outside fine. He seems unsteady going downstairs to go outside but is not stumbling or acting dizzy. Now the vet wants us to come back for another appointment tomorrow because "something else must be going on".

Any advice? I've had a misdiagnosis from this vet before so I am a bit nervous this is a second misdiagnosis but no other vet in the area can get us in for a few days and I'd like to have him seen asap.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It would seem something is going on. If his balance is affected, as you said, I would be very suspicious of a middle or inner ear infection, not a good thing to let go for long. If the blood work is all normal, usually a good way to identify that an infection is somewhere in his body, I too would be at a loss. I would push for follow-up blood work and if it persists do whatever it takes to get him in to see a different Vet. The balance issue is indeed troubling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. He went back and they gave him otomax, cefpodoxime, and rimadyal. He was doing better until today when he suddenly took a very bad turn and was vomiting then had a seizure. Currently stable and staying overnight at the emergency vet. Going to run more blood work and take it from there. I just wish they knew what was going on so we could have a course of action. Very difficult to deal with when he's had no health issues until this ear infection (or whatever it is)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
So sorry you are having to go through this with him. You certainly are doing everything possible, lets hope the ER folks can identify what is going on and its easily treatable. Keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts