Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm looking to adopt a corgi puppy and have been doing a lot of research on breeders. I've been in contact with a few and they have all been very helpful. I believe I have narrowed my search down to two but am curious on others' thoughts on how to proceed.

Breeder #1 I feel the most comfortable with. They are very thorough in their communication and they do a lot of tests on the parents and puppies to make sure they're healthy when they go home. They have also given me plenty of references to check with. This breeder stated that the puppies from the next litter will be EIC and vWD1 carriers (won't be affected since one parent is clear and the other parent is a carrier). The parents also had their hips, elbows, hearts, and eyes tested and the results were fair/normal so they will pass good genes on to their puppies. The only downside is that both of the parents are at risk for DM meaning all the puppies will also be at risk.

Breeder #2 doesn't do all of the testing that I would prefer. This breeder only tests for DM. The puppies in their next litter will be DM carriers (unaffected - dam is clear, sire is carrier) which is definitely preferable since they will never develop the disease.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice/opinions on the best route to take? I'm leaning towards breeder #1 since more tests were performed and their overall health will be good but I'm still a bit concerned since they will be at risk for DM. While it's possible the puppies will never develop the disease, there is more peace of mind buying a puppy that is DM clear/carrier. However, breeder #2 doesn't do any additional health testing and the puppies may develop health issues unrelated to DM.

I suppose it's a gamble either way but any thoughts are appreciated!

· Super Moderator
8,699 Posts
I don't know the answer but the DM test is a simple DNA test, isn't it?

So for me, a reasonable question for breeder #1 is why they haven't had it done. If they have a reasonable answer, like knowing their breeding stock has had no evidence of the condition on either side over X generations, that might put your mind at rest?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, DM is a simple test.

And sorry if the post was a bit confusing but breeder #1 did have the tests done as well. Both of the parents are at risk though so the puppies will also be at risk. They have said that throughout their 20 years of breeding, they have seen very few of their puppies actually develop the disease. However, it is still a 50/50 chance for any of the puppies which concerns me. This will also be the dam's first litter so she doesn't have any previous puppies to look back at.

Thanks for your thoughts!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.