Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,856 Posts
Looks like she could possibly be a cur/pit cross, or some other pittie mix. There are actually 4 breeds that we typically call 'pitbull' (The Staffordshire Bull Terrier, The American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, The Bull Terrier and the American Pit-Bull Terrier) but I'm sure that her colours would be accepted for any of those above breeds. Very cute!

· Registered
3,856 Posts
You never know if this dog came from a byb if they are trustworthy on the parentage but I don't see anything to indicate that they are a mix.
Why do you typically call them "pitbull"? The 2nd is not a correct breed name btw.

I don't see how Bull Terrier is even remotely thrown in there, of course I've seen even worse like Boxer are "pit bulls". It is ironic that an associating with Pit Bulls that Bull Terrier breeders fought so hard against a century ago is being made. These dogs were used initially in rat pits but not bred for the dog pits and very quickly became bred show ring & conformation wins. That is why they were referred to as bench bull terriers and Pits referred to as sporting bull terriers in the late 1800s. Pits are (accepted as being) bull & terrier by descent. Thus Pits are bull & terriers but Bull Terriers are not Pits. A name proposed to the AKC for Pits was American Bull Terrier too, though they settled on Staffordshire eventually.
Trust me, believe me, I know my dog breed history. I refer to "pit bull" as the above because in all honesty it is probably a mix of all or any of the 4. It is really hard to prove that you have a purebred bully-anything without lineage papers, especially because of their extreme similarity to one another. But you could say that about a lot of types of dog.

As you may know, "pit bull" is not a breed but rather a legal term for any of the 4 above-mentioned breeds, in areas with BSL. I don't see how bull terrier is thrown in there either. I guess I should ask the people that make up these laws. :ponder:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.