Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 9 week old pitbull.. but i have looked to see what type she is.. her mom is red nose pit..dad is a pit but i dont know much bout him.. i have look up all information and picture that may look like her no luck.. what is throwing my off is the black around her eyes and part of her nose.. anyone that could help i greatly appreciate it..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Looks like she could possibly be a cur/pit cross, or some other pittie mix. There are actually 4 breeds that we typically call 'pitbull' (The Staffordshire Bull Terrier, The American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, The Bull Terrier and the American Pit-Bull Terrier) but I'm sure that her colours would be accepted for any of those above breeds. Very cute!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
'Red Nose' is just a coloring, it's not an actual type or category like say, long vs smooth haired Dachshunds. Pit mixes are really just bully breed mixes that could have anything in them. Some people specifically breed for certain colors or sizes, but there's no true 'type' in a bred standard sort of way. So its safe to say your dog is just an All American Pit Mix!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Also, I just looked at this again, and...are you sure this puppy is 9 weeks old? She looks extremely young. Sometimes when people's dogs have puppies they give them away early to get them out of the house. This dog looks more like she's around 6 weeks old, maybe even 5.

·
Registered
951 Posts
At best, red-nose is a 'line'. Yet many pits have red noses and are unrelated to the red-nose line, but are often misrepresented as such.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
OP you have a very cute pup. Be sure to socialize and train your dog. You will also want to consider future exercise needs.
I'm not exactly sure what the question is as far as type? A Pit Bull is a Pit Bull no matter the color. Pit Bull is short for American Pit Bull Terrier if you are wanting the proper breed name. That is whether they have a red or black nose.
If you are asking about bloodlines no one can tell you the lines without viewing the pedigree. Did you get any paperwork? My first assumption would be no but I've seen people ask this question when they did have a registered dog. If so you can get a pedigree when you transfer ownership. If not then no one here can help you. Maybe the breeder can, that'd be who you should ask in regards to your dog.
If you are simply asking what color of your dog which is not a type! That's pretty simple she is buckskin with black mask & white markings. She carriers red nose but you can't tell by just looking of course.

If you want to see pics of Pits ADBA has plenty on their site including a gallery that has colors listed with photos.

Looks like she could possibly be a cur/pit cross, or some other pittie mix. There are actually 4 breeds that we typically call 'pitbull' (The Staffordshire Bull Terrier, The American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, The Bull Terrier and the American Pit-Bull Terrier) but I'm sure that her colours would be accepted for any of those above breeds. Very cute!
You never know if this dog came from a byb if they are trustworthy on the parentage but I don't see anything to indicate that they are a mix.
Why do you typically call them "pitbull"? The 2nd is not a correct breed name btw.

I don't see how Bull Terrier is even remotely thrown in there, of course I've seen even worse like Boxer are "pit bulls". It is ironic that an associating with Pit Bulls that Bull Terrier breeders fought so hard against a century ago is being made. These dogs were used initially in rat pits but not bred for the dog pits and very quickly became bred show ring & conformation wins. That is why they were referred to as bench bull terriers and Pits referred to as sporting bull terriers in the late 1800s. Pits are (accepted as being) bull & terrier by descent. Thus Pits are bull & terriers but Bull Terriers are not Pits. A name proposed to the AKC for Pits was American Bull Terrier too, though they settled on Staffordshire eventually.

'Red Nose' is just a coloring, it's not an actual type or category like say, long vs smooth haired Dachshunds. Pit mixes are really just bully breed mixes that could have anything in them. Some people specifically breed for certain colors or sizes, but there's no true 'type' in a bred standard sort of way. So its safe to say your dog is just an All American Pit Mix!
I'd think that Pit mixes would be dogs that are part Pit and part some other breed. If a Pit owner isn't responsible and their female gets pregnant by the neighbors dog or a stray those resulting pups would be Pit mixes.
Now if you find a dog or adopt a dog maybe you won't know for sure they could be a Pit mix or a different bully breed mix but look similar. No one can guarantee they are actually a Pit mix. That's a different scenario, at least from what I can make out of the OP's post they bought a Pit puppy. I don't think they are asking what their Pit is mixed with for them to be considered a mutt. They stated both parents were Pits.

Since their is a breed standard would dogs that meet it be considered as having breed type which by conformation standards would be true to type.
You can't force everyone to breed to standard or other type characteristics (there are more to breeds than conformation) but that's true in any breed. IMHO people who breed for color and/or size are bybs. That goes for other breeds too. Those I've seen are after money and ate not concerned about the breed.

Also, I just looked at this again, and...are you sure this puppy is 9 weeks old? She looks extremely young. Sometimes when people's dogs have puppies they give them away early to get them out of the house. This dog looks more like she's around 6 weeks old, maybe even 5.
That does happen and it's totally wrong. Though it can be hard to tell online maybe? I hope the breeder was at least honest enough about that. It seems like they might have been a byb just judging by the post. I don't think they look 5 weeks old.

This is my pup at 9 weeks

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I wanted to add 5 week old pics but I have to make a new post. To me at 5 weeks they look less developed, smaller, round cute Lil things. The heads and bodies go through changes.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
You never know if this dog came from a byb if they are trustworthy on the parentage but I don't see anything to indicate that they are a mix.
Why do you typically call them "pitbull"? The 2nd is not a correct breed name btw.

I don't see how Bull Terrier is even remotely thrown in there, of course I've seen even worse like Boxer are "pit bulls". It is ironic that an associating with Pit Bulls that Bull Terrier breeders fought so hard against a century ago is being made. These dogs were used initially in rat pits but not bred for the dog pits and very quickly became bred show ring & conformation wins. That is why they were referred to as bench bull terriers and Pits referred to as sporting bull terriers in the late 1800s. Pits are (accepted as being) bull & terrier by descent. Thus Pits are bull & terriers but Bull Terriers are not Pits. A name proposed to the AKC for Pits was American Bull Terrier too, though they settled on Staffordshire eventually.
Trust me, believe me, I know my dog breed history. I refer to "pit bull" as the above because in all honesty it is probably a mix of all or any of the 4. It is really hard to prove that you have a purebred bully-anything without lineage papers, especially because of their extreme similarity to one another. But you could say that about a lot of types of dog.

As you may know, "pit bull" is not a breed but rather a legal term for any of the 4 above-mentioned breeds, in areas with BSL. I don't see how bull terrier is thrown in there either. I guess I should ask the people that make up these laws. :ponder:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Well yes it is hard to impossible to prove purity. I agree there, but I'm generally accepting of an unpapered dog being called a specific breed unless clearly the "breeder" was dishonest. I realize that happens and this pup is very young to make an assessment on too. I do wish the OP would reply. I've seen people ask questions of this nature while having papers all along but not knowing how to get the pedigree nor the knowledge for it to mean anything. If it was a case like that we could at least give them some bloodline information.

True enough I'm aware of that. I don't abide by the ignorance of those people. That's why BSL is so screwed up. I've seen very few places where Bull Terrier are included in BSL and not typically listed under Pit Bull. It seems SBT remains fairly unscathed too, but not always. However the huge downfall is they can call whatever they want a Pit Bull when they use physical identification. Be it a Lab mix, an American Bulldog. Something is really wrong with some people.

The people who made the laws probably won't have a legitimate answer if they have included Bull Terrier as a pit. No more than they had a legit answer for the family that got a pup from me, as Pits were not the target breed of the ban. Yet they were the "same thing" as Rotts & Am Bulldogs so you no he had to go. They make sketchy laws that they can enforce how they want, they give the AC the authority to take your dog when they tell you what breed your dog supposedly is.

Sorry for ranting but those people drive me nuts. Obviously they have added a lot to the confusion of what a Pit Bull actually is. Despite reality they make up their own definition.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
@SpicyBulldog I know the OP hasn't come back and probably won't, but despite the fact they said the dog came from a breeder...I don't think they got the dog from a true breeder in the sense of the purebred dog. The VAST majority of Pit Bulls (around me at least) just come from people, typically in urban areas who just breed their Pits for money either for fighting or just for money. I'm going to bet that's where this person got their puppy, especially since she looks barely old enough to be weaned. And of course it could be someone who did have an oops litter from an unspayed Pit bitch and well...anything. I generally assume people who get Pits from "breeders" do that unless they specify they went far out of the area or mention some sort of showing or sport the breeder does. I work with Pits/Pit mixes every day so some go one way or the other in terms of American Bulldog, molosser, Staffie, Am Staff or those ridiculously bulky "American Bullies", and some other stuff like Labs or Rotties thrown in, but there's SO much in everything people call Pit Bulls, so I generally assume most are bully breed mixes.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I think the pup looks the appropriate age.
I agree, doubtful they got their dog from a reputable breeder. Bybs are every where & that is where the majority of people get Pit Bulls (and probably most other popular breeds?). They appeared to be Pit but appearances can device, especially this young. I don't put a lot of "stock" in what so called breeders claim either but I don't automatically call some one's dog a mutt. I don't know either way. That's all I'm trying to say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts