Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Since I'm fairly new here I don't expect everyone to know Toby's Story. If you click the link, it'll give you the lengthier version - but basically, he has GI tract damage and a lengthy list of allergies.

Toby is allergic to:
Chicken, Turkey, Duck, Quail, etc..
Pork
Lamb is touch and go
Rice, Oatmeal/Oats, other Grains
Gluten sources such as wheat and barley
Peanut Butter

He's done best on Merrick's Grain-Free, Real Texas Beef recipe. BUT - Merrick recently sold out to Purina and since I cannot guarantee the recipe won't change.... we're in the market.

Toby doesn't like venison, and doesn't particularly enjoy fish either. He does however find the aroma of roadkill rabbit simply irresistible and has, on the extremely rare occasion, found himself within snagging distance and treated himself to a quick on-the-go mouthful.

I have absolutely nothing against raw diets - that said, I am a busy Mom of a 6 year old, 1 year old, and baby on the way due October, so I don't have the time to really prep his meals everyday, and Toby cannot be fed strictly raw because of his GI tract damage, so I really am looking for a kibble that will best suit him.

We are fairly active, but also enjoy our down time. I don't want a food that's going to cause his weight to fluctuate too much. On Merrick he's held steady at 35 pounds and that's ideal.

So... any recommendations?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm... my dog has lots of allergies as well (grains, chicken, potatoes..) so we feed her Nutrisca, the salmon and chickpea blend..... But since your dog doesn't like fish, i did some research..... did you know they actually make dog food with rabbit meat?? i sure didn't, haha. there's a list of grain-free food with rabbit meat on chewy.com, which is where we get the nutrisca. not sure how good they are, they seem less popular but have good reviews nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Not sure how you feel about the brand, but Natural Balance sells a whole line of limited ingredient food: Rabbit, Kangaroo and Bison.

Although I've not thoroughly researched this fact, I've been told that this is about the simplest ingredient dog food on the market.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! On another forum (sort of) it was recommended I try out Acana Ranchlands and upon reading through their ingredients and getting a general idea of what they're all about on their website, I've decided to give that a go.

If it doesn't work out, I will definitely further look into the other suggested brands :)

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Try Azmira, it's located in Wisconsin...our catahoula did great on it! She used to have scabs from all her allergies from food...all over her body!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts