Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions?

My dog only eats one meal a day. She absolutely refuses breakfast anytime we leave the house. If she sees us put our shoes on, she will not eat. Or anytime we walk quickly through the house prior to work. Either way she doesn't always eat breakfast.

She is a very active dog and runs the weight right off. We have a farm and she gets a LOT of exercise. I would say she runs several miles a day.

I liked the idea of the Purina 30/20 Sport dog food, but it is not grain free. Oats and sweet potato are okay for her, but she can't have wheat or corn as she is allergic.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'd probably use Orijen or Merrick. Orijen being the higher in protein and fat, and Merrick only if there was no way I could afford Orijen, simply because Merrick sold out to Purina although they claim to still be producing it in the Merrick factory.

The links contain guaranteed analysis of the food:

http://www.orijen.ca/products/dog-food/dry-dog-food/regional-red/

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/dogs/products/recipe?title=Merrick-Grain-Free-Recipes-Real-Buffalo-and-Sweet-Potato-Dry-Dog-Food-for-Adult-Dogs-&-Puppies&id=12

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Orijen or Acana. (Same company, Acana uses slightly lower quality ingredients. I feed Acana to my dog.)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Depends on what you definition of high protein/high fat island what your budget is. Personally I use Orijen in the summer and Acana in the winter. For me it isn't that much more expensive than the lesser quality foods. If you were wanting something cheaper, then there's Merrick (don't trust them now they've sold out), Nature's Variety,and GO! natural.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Orijen is a good option.

Does the dog have trouble keeping weight on? I also recommend Eagle Pack's Power Adult formula. It's not grain free, but does not have wheat, corn, or soy. It does a good job of keeping weight on. It's what a lot of sled dog owners use.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use Annamaet Ultra 32/20 for my Springer that has trouble keeping weight on. It's not grain free, but has brown rice & millet in it. She ahs done very well on this food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts