Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I dont' have all the answers-but when looking for a breeder I look for:

1) do they do only one breed? Especially imporant that they aren't breeding horses, dogs, cats, rats, chinchilla's-basically anything with reproductive organs.

2) Do they show

3) Do they health check and offer a guarantee/contract

4) Are they health checking for probs common with the breed (ie. hips not a big deal with chihuahuas, big deal for rotties)

5) Do they know all about the breed? Are the asking you questions? Do they have a waiting list-basically are they interested in you as an owner and the breed in general and dog welfare etc.

That's my checklist when buying from a breeder. There are no guarantees of course. Anyways-good luck and keep us posted on your new pup!!!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
thats particular kennel says they get 50% of their dogs from an outside breeder...

I can't find anything talking about titles (except they occasionally sell dogs with titles) I can't find anything on the breeding stock, they mention OFA and say that if the dog has an issue within 2 years you can exchange it....heres the thing tho...ofas are done after the dog turns two...so their guarantee is useless.

Personally I wouldn't buy from this kennel.

Why doyou want the dog already trained? The best bet is the train the dog yourself, with a trainer. As much as they claim training will transfer over...its not the same.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats particular kennel says they get 50% of their dogs from an outside breeder...

I can't find anything talking about titles (except they occasionally sell dogs with titles) I can't find anything on the breeding stock, they mention OFA and say that if the dog has an issue within 2 years you can exchange it....heres the thing tho...ofas are done after the dog turns two...so their guarantee is useless.

Personally I wouldn't buy from this kennel.

Why doyou want the dog already trained? The best bet is the train the dog yourself, with a trainer. As much as they claim training will transfer over...its not the same.

Thanks. I'll look for a different one, then.

Is it common for people to buy an untrained dog and have a trainer work with them? I thought a lot of the dogs that start training end up not being good enough and are sold as pets. How would you know if the dog you buy has enough potential?

I'll keep you updated, but I'm not going to be getting the dog until this time next year... I'm just planning ahead : ]

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Thanks. I'll look for a different one, then.

Is it common for people to buy an untrained dog and have a trainer work with them? I thought a lot of the dogs that start training end up not being good enough and are sold as pets. How would you know if the dog you buy has enough potential?

I'll keep you updated, but I'm not going to be getting the dog until this time next year... I'm just planning ahead : ]

very common. If you are worried about the dog "making the cut" so to speak you would buy a dog thats bloodlines prove to be cut out for the task...perhaps buy an older (6 months or so) pup so you get a better idea of the drive in that dog.

That said there are lots of drivey drivey dogs of all breeds...I have personally met a standard poodle trained in protection work, as well as seen many many bully breeds do it...I have seen dogs as small as JRT doing the job.

Personally I would want to be with the dog as young as possible and have my hands in its training as much as possible...these dogs are drivey drivey drivey and I want the reward history to be with ME. :) :) :)

also with the training, it has LOTS of upkeep. So you will be training constantly anyway. Might as well start from scratch. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
very common. If you are worried about the dog "making the cut" so to speak you would buy a dog thats bloodlines prove to be cut out for the task...perhaps buy an older (6 months or so) pup so you get a better idea of the drive in that dog.

That said there are lots of drivey drivey dogs of all breeds...I have personally met a standard poodle trained in protection work, as well as seen many many bully breeds do it...I have seen dogs as small as JRT doing the job.

Personally I would want to be with the dog as young as possible and have my hands in its training as much as possible...these dogs are drivey drivey drivey and I want the reward history to be with ME. :) :) :)

also with the training, it has LOTS of upkeep. So you will be training constantly anyway. Might as well start from scratch. :)
Interesting. Do you know anything about their bloodlines? I wouldn't have a clue...

ok, i give up...what exactly does "ring-trained" mean? i googled it, but all the sites are blocked from my work computer...
French ring is a sport.

This tells you all about it:
French Ring Sport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
thank you! it was driving me nuts trying to figure it out (i didn't use the "french" in my searches lol)...i was thinking ring..like show ring, but that doesn't make sense with protection dogs....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Interesting. Do you know anything about their bloodlines? I wouldn't have a clue...
Unfortunately GSD and mals are not my thing. To drivey for me. :)So I don't remember which bloodlines focus on what. I wish I could help more. :)

Dogs that have advanced titles in ringsport should be fathering any of the pups you look at :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately GSD and mals are not my thing. To drivey for me. :)So I don't remember which bloodlines focus on what. I wish I could help more. :)

Dogs that have advanced titles in ringsport should be fathering any of the pups you look at :) :)

Do either of these litters look good? Services

I don't even know what the titles mean :S

Or these? Ates Konakkuran

Belgian Malinois Pups

Welcome to Broadcreek Kennel of PA, Breeders of Belgian Malinois

Thanks SO much for your help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
titles are what a dog earns by competing... titles require you place to get a "leg"

it takes three legs to get a title....then there are multiple levels of titles. For example..."AN" would be agility novice....meaning the dog has three legs in agility and has earned its first title. :)

at least thats my understanding as it was explained to me. Others may chime in.

this may help..
Dog Titles & Abbreviations

out of all those the breeder in PA looks the best to me...but I admittedly am not an expert in mals or ringsport. :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
titles are what a dog earns by competing... titles require you place to get a "leg"

it takes three legs to get a title....then there are multiple levels of titles. For example..."AN" would be agility novice....meaning the dog has three legs in agility and has earned its first title. :)

at least thats my understanding as it was explained to me. Others may chime in.

this may help..
Dog Titles & Abbreviations

out of all those the breeder in PA looks the best to me...but I admittedly am not an expert in mals or ringsport. :) :)

Thanks so much!

I like the look of the PA one, but I just noticed that they don't seem to be focused on personal protection dogs like the other ones are.

I emailed this site... a Boston, MA based full service professional dog training facility, dog boarding kennel, breeder of top quality Belgian Malinois

... to see what they had available. They say the sire was "the first US dog to win the Belgian Ring category 3 trial." That sounds pretty impressive to me, haha. They have an adorable 3-month-old male, but this is what they said in the email "I have a nice male here 3 months old but it looks like you live in FL and shipping is a real pain in the neck."

That seemed a little weird to me. Most of the other sites deliver the dog straight to your door as normal protocol. I wouldn't mind arranging shipping or even picking him up myself if I decide to get him. It just seems a little sketchy.

Anyway, this is the dog he was talking about:

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
actually i'd be more leary of a breeder who DOES ship. Most breeders want to meet you in person, these dogs are everything to them...breeders who will ship just anyone who has the money for a dog, without TONS of references/questions, are breeding for the wrong rea$on$ IMO....and the guy is right, shipping is a pain in the rear :p

your link would not work for me. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
actually i'd be more leary of a breeder who DOES ship. Most breeders want to meet you in person, these dogs are everything to them...breeders who will ship just anyone who has the money for a dog, without TONS of references/questions, are breeding for the wrong rea$on$ IMO....and the guy is right, shipping is a pain in the rear :p

your link would not work for me. :)

Oh, okay... Well, most of the places I looked at delivered the dog right to your door with two trainers to show you how to handle the dog. That was for already-trained dogs, though.

The link is www. trouwehond .com

See if that works if you copy it and take out the spaces.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
All puppies we choose come from excellent quality parents whose hips are rated 0/0, that have been breed surveyed and that have earned a working title and usually a show rating.
this is a GOOD start...as a buyer tho, I would ask for proof before purchase :)

keep in mind these dogs are trained in compulsion/aversion type techniques...that means physical corrections and e collars. Make sure you are 100% comfortable with that before you have them train your dog. Also keep in mind that learning these techinques is much harder and you can buy a trained dog and mess it up yourself if they don't train YOU enough. :) :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this is a GOOD start...as a buyer tho, I would ask for proof before purchase :)

keep in mind these dogs are trained in compulsion/aversion type techniques...that means physical corrections and e collars. Make sure you are 100% comfortable with that before you have them train your dog. Also keep in mind that learning these techinques is much harder and you can buy a trained dog and mess it up yourself if they don't train YOU enough. :) :) :)

Well, he hasn't been trained yet. If I got him from them, I would take him to a trainer near me.

Now I'm kind of leaning towards getting a dog that's a little older. I think I might want to get a trained dog and then take it to a trainer for refresher classes every week or whatever. Then I can actually work WITH him, so he'll listen to me better.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.