Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving out soon, and I'm looking for a friend! Generally I'm just looking for ideal breeds for what my life will be, and I figure if ask here, I could get some informed advice.

I will be living in a 1-2 bedroom apartment (before I get a house of course), and I will be working throuought the day (pretty standard schedule I'd immagine). I'm aware of the separation problems between dogs and owners, but when I'm home, I will be home. I don't do much, so I will spend pretty much 100% of the time I'm home with my dog. (Probably would still look into daycare for the dog though)

Later on, I plan to have another person move in with me, but it would be maybe a year later.

Generally I'm looking for a larger breed (mid to large) that ideally has shorter hair, however it's not too big of a deal (I tend to keep things decently clean around me, so shedding and slobber aren't a HUGE problem). And I'd rather the dog be a huge softie, a big baby if you will. (I tend to like dogs that are big, but think they are lapdogs).

Since I will be living alone, I want a dog that will snuggle up at night, and be a big soft mass of fur that I can hold when it's cold, so I would like a breed that dosent mind being touch or hugged :)

Maintenance shouldn't be a huge problem, but grooming and energy should be kept low (I'm a fit guy, but my schedule tends to be pretty lax, so I don't want a dog that is too hyper and bouncy)

Cost shouldn't be too much of a problem as I will have a good paying job straight out of college (perks of being a watchmaker eh?)

Recap: decent sized dog that dosent mind just sitting down on the couch and chilling together. Ideally pretty chill energy wise, and a big cuddler.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm not sure if these would be too large for apartment living but when I think of big, cuddly dogs my first thoughts are Great Dane or English Mastiff.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Agree with agilitycolliemom -- everything you wrote in your post screams to me "Greyhound".

Super loving dogs, very cuddly and chill. Are OK with their owners being gone throughout the day. Quite a clean breed with low shedding coats. They need a quick romp for about 20 min a day and the rest of the time they're happy to snooze on the couch.

The best part - there are tons that need adopting!! They are an amazing breed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure where you are, but other options (less available in the US though) are Galgos and Podencos -- related to the greyhound but different breeds. Both are used as hunting dogs in Spain and surrounding areas so are widely available for rescue around Europe. Also beautiful dogs and Podencos come in a range of sizes (Galgos are almost all comparable in size to Greyhounds).

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not sure where you are, but other options (less available in the US though) are Galgos and Podencos -- related to the greyhound but different breeds. Both are used as hunting dogs in Spain and surrounding areas so are widely available for rescue around Europe. Also beautiful dogs and Podencos come in a range of sizes (Galgos are almost all comparable in size to Greyhounds).
Yes the cool thing about on rescue website link that I posted it has links to European and Canadian rescues as well as the US. Have met a Galgos "Spanish" Greyhound. Doc I work for has rescued over twelve greyhounds in his lifetime so far. I know whenever (God forbid) he loses his current greyhound he will adopt another. Wonderful breed!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The first breed I thought of was Greyhound, and there is a huge need to rescue retired Greyhounds. They are gentle, love attention, are very happy to be on the couch with someone. Check with Greyhound rescue groups, if you rescue one, you will be saving the life of one of these magnificent animals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rotwhip3 -
My suggestion is do your research. It looks as though there are a lot of members who love greyhounds and they are a beautiful breed. My concern is more about the apartment living. I have found (at least in my area of NC) that there are not that many apartments that will allow for pets. Especially those over 50 ilbs. If you are looking into renting an apartment before owning your own home that is one thing that you should consider.

Next I would love to make my suggestion as to looking into the lab retrievers. My dog Daisy is a rescue and she is six years old. We were very fortunate that she is a smart dog cause she is potty trained, leash trained, sits on command and other things that we are teaching her. She also just loves to sit and chill in front of the tv while asking to be petted.

As you are thinking about breeds don't forget to check out their common medical issues associated with the breed. And due to your working schedule I would also recommend a dog that is at least a year old. Puppies require a lot of attention and almost constant supervision. I hope this helps..

·
Registered
917 Posts
A Great dane would fit a lot of what you want. But I'm not sure that a dane would be the best first dog. Though for some people it would work out. Danes are huge lap dogs, they love their people and want contact. They are about mid energy, though depending on the lines can be lower or even higher energy, so you'd want to talk to the breeder. They have a short, easy to care for coat. The amount of slobber depends on the line, some slobber a lot others not much. Freyja doesn't slobber much, it's worst after eating/drinking or when she gets excited. But if you do mind drool they are not for you. Freyja loves to cuddle, she is sleeping next to me as I type and gets into bed when my BF gets up. She is a huge love bug. The down side to danes is that they can have some bad health problems, so you want to find a breeder that health test. You need to be careful with them while they are growing, no forced running or jogging until they are at least 18 months old. That doesn't mean they can not run and play. You just don't want to take them running, running in the yard is fine. You don't want to feed puppy food as that can cause them to grow too fast and they can end up with a very painful condition. I don't feed kibble at all, I raw feed my dogs. Danes are prone to joint problems and bloat. If you decide to alter your dog you'll want to wait until they are at least a year old, but 14 or even 18 months is better. They are not done with the with most of their bone growth until around 18 months. Finding a breed that is familiar with the breed or giant dogs is important. Researching a responsible breeder is also important. Even with the downfalls I will always have a dane. They are wonderful, loving, cuddly lap dogs. They are handler focused and easily trained.

I'd suggest you also look at a shelter or rescue dog. An adult mixed breed could fit your needs too. You can also find purebreds in many shelters, though these can be pulled quickly depending on breed.
Make sure there is no breed or weight limit at your apartment. Sadly many have on or both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts