Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm not new to dogs at all but I am new to getting a dog in this digital age. I'm a little stuck, well not as much stuck as I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

So quick story to explain. So I'm not on here trying to figure out what dog is right for me, I'm on here trying to figure out how to get the dog that is right for me?

Here is where I'm stuck, I've been hovering over petfinder trying to penetrate the layers of obfuscation between the actual animal and myself. I don't want to just blindly adopt some dog, yet it seems many rescues want you to fill out tons of paperwork and do interviews before you honestly know if you even want a single dog they are handling. I've literally begun this process to find either the animal in question is a bad fit or already adopted... :ponder:

Normally when I read a bio for a dog I think would be a good fit its is literally the only dog in said rescue and I feel like I need to meet the dog to know if there is a fit. By the time I'm setup in their system it doesn't matter and I'm on to the next rescue. This is getting annoying I've spent a dozen hours on darn bureaucracy here to no real avail.

So I'm basically done with petfinder. I don't live within 1 hour drive of any shelters so I can't hover over them and pop in and out to see what they have, and by the time they post a dog I'd be interested in, I find out about it, arrange my schedule to drive out there... its gone :( I'm not looking for rare animals here just a combination of physicality, age, and energy that is less common than your typical pit/terrier mix that is 75% of dogs looking for homes.

I stumbled onto Hoobly, it's was interesting because there are individuals rehousing adult dogs directly(good), and breeders, and BYB's and Mills all on the same sight best I can tell. While I'm not sold on the less scrupulous activities on there I did appreciate how direct everything is, if I find a prospective animal the owner or whoever has their number, website, or email right there typically or I can email them directly and set up a sit down. But based on the negative info I've seen around I was leery of committing to that process. :eyeroll:

I didn't know if you guys could point me to a forum, or other sort of aggregator of dogs w/o homes I might be able to sift through that is more reputable.

Most articles I find on this issue are not much help, "Find a breeder, look at their papers yada yada yada..." I'm cheap but I simply don't want to drop that coin on a dog, sorry. It's nonsense, not the whole breeding thing but the sites I get directed to are like 5K puppies! I'm not breeding here just want a buddy who fits well enough into my life with reasonable health and such. I don't even really care to get a puppy...

What is the best internet resource for breeders, rescues and everything inbetween? How can I find a dog in the digital age w/o feeding the system of mills? Are BYB's so bad??? I know this is probably going to kick off a debate because I used to breed fish(not comparing dogs to fish just breeding to breeding) and the moral nuances and complexities always get a heated discussion going. Husbandry, Stewardship, WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN! However I'd like to keep this convo friendly and concise, I've already blathered on long enough :)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Here's how I got my dog. I used petfinder and applied for a specific dog. I was denied for him and they didn't have any dogs that were right for me. They then pulled a dog from a shelter specifically for me. He's my avatar, and he's perfect.

So I would suggest applying with rescues. However, is there anything that might be disqualifying you? Are you trying to get a breed unsuited to your life? Do you work 60 hours a week? Tell us about yourself and the dog you're looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not been disqualified at all.

Here's how I got my dog. I used petfinder and applied for a specific dog. I was denied for him and they didn't have any dogs that were right for me. They then pulled a dog from a shelter specifically for me. He's my avatar, and he's perfect.

So I would suggest applying with rescues. However, is there anything that might be disqualifying you? Are you trying to get a breed unsuited to your life? Do you work 60 hours a week? Tell us about yourself and the dog you're looking for.
I've not been disqualified at all. I typically miss the window, with the last 2 dogs before I could get through the bureaucracy the dogs were gone. I own my home, am self employed, have a fenced yard, and the dog would not be alone for the typical 9 hour work day. I have a history with dogs and good references and I'm even half decent at training other people's dogs.

My issue is that I don't want to shoehorn a poor fit into my life. Sure I'd love a Shiba Inu or heck any spitz dog but most of them would make a poor fit, I'd feel like the animal was not getting the direct attention, training and exercise it deserves. Having lived with many dogs I love but could not meet their excessive play requirements (many terriers and herding dogs) I decided I wanted a dog with a specific athleticism and energy level while also being good off lead cause I spend lots of time in rural areas wear a lead would not be used but the dog running off would be bad news(that rules out the average grey hound). I would need a dog that was cat, dog and kid friendly so it could travel with me.

I'm not trying to be unreasonable in my needs but more specific so that I know the animals husbandry requirements will always be exceeded. To that end I could acquire a dog to fit that bill through "normal" channels (think BYB's) but I'm a little dubious on the morality at this point. I've seen some good rehousing ads for mature dogs (likely not from puppy farms) come up on hoobly and didn't know if that was bad news or not. I didn't know if beyond petfinder there was a better method for direct contact with individuals vs going through a extensive and slow foster system, rescue, or other network that seems to honestly be poorly served in my area. If I can interface directly with someone (ala Hoobly) the distance seems less threatening, the lack of bureaucracy more inviting, and my efforts to find that dog who I can care best for gratified. But at the same time based on the rep that sites like hoobly have I'm unsure. Didn't know if their was a forum or other outlet that might aggregate info in a fashion similar to petfinder but without so many layers between seller/foster/dog and buyer/adopter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking for dogs that aren't as common in my area. Something with a Dane like temperament. Doesn't have to be big(though I love big dogs so maybe I have a bias there) but has to have a certain amount of athleticism w/o being high energy. I honestly was most drawn to a greyhound but EVERYONE dams having them off lead and I know it would have to be good off lead, not border collie good but not wander off or sprint off after something and get into trouble, darn hounds can see further than me, lol. In my area healthy danes or other like dogs that I'm looking for rarely pop up I'd have to travel to another state at the least to get one. I read the bios about the animal's energy levels and typically if they have hip issues, look at the photos... and from their pursue them but I've not actually gotten to meet a single candidate, the last 4 all move on quick and I'm always applying to a different rescue in a different city. I'm not saying that to say, WHERE DO I GET DANES? not what I mean, more that in the process I feel obfuscated by intermediaries at this point.

I mean heck the last two were actually german shepherd mixes of other mastiff guardian dogs. It's literally a issue of feeling like I'm chasing my tail and if I gave in I could acquire a BYB dog no problem, they always have 1 or two dogs that they can't sell that gets to about 1 year of age that is mature and you can get a jist of what the dog is like personality wise, regardless of breed. But then I get all annoyed to be playing into that market.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess i might look at a breeder... not a byb but a legit one. any recommendations on a forum or resource for vetting a breeder???

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Once you choose a breed, the breed club is a good place to start looking for breeders. You'd just need to Google for the information - something like "[breed name] Club of America" should do the trick. Sometimes they list breeders on their site, other times they'll just have people you can contact.

Also, if you're looking for a specific breed, specific-breed rescues are a great resource as well. Again, you can just do a web search. Most breed rescues know their dogs a bit more than the average shelter, and most are more willing to transport their dogs if you find one that is a good fit.

It can be really frustrating to look for a dog, find one you really like, and then see it has been snapped up. It's happened to me a couple of times, so I totally relate. Sometimes, though, if you can find a good group of people that are running a rescue, and tell them what you're looking for in a dog, they can help you out. Rescue people tend to network quite a bit and know of dogs that are sitting in shelters, so even if they don't have what you want they may know how you can go about finding such a dog.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I would put applications in at 2 or 3 rescues. If they approve it, tell them your list of requirements. Often, rescues have dogs in foster homes so they get to know these dogs very well. I let the rescue choose my dog and she is a completely perfect fit to my lifestyle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts