Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abby is a 5 year old Parson Russell Terrier service dog. I started Grad school about a month ago and Wednesdays are our long days - 9am-8:30pm at my desk with only a few short breaks to stretch our legs and eat/drink something. :dog-cry: Abby mostly sleeps and the poor girl gets completely restless towards the end, and who could blame her? We all are.

I just recently hired someone to come around 4pm to take her for a 30-60 minute walk, but she needs more... I want to give her more because I care about her happiness too (she’s not just a working dog to me). Can you recommend some long lasting and healthy treats? In the past, she has liked Dingo EZ Bones, Busy Bone, and best of all, Buffalo Tail!. I’d love to hear your recommendations, but because she is a working dog in a classroom, your treats cannot be loud or messy. Thanks in advance! :huddle:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Try Buffalo ears (NOT pig ears) they are not greasy/fatty like pig ears and are very digestible besides being natural! Also Lamb ears and 'odorless' Bully Sticks........

·
Registered
712 Posts
The Himalayan yak chew is a GREAT chew to keep your dog busy as mentioned by Pax. The only thing is...its not a super quiet chew..at least not with my pup. It's quite hard so the crunching and chewing can get a little noisy..and sometimes my pup will have the chew on the ground, and she'll gnaw at it with her front teeth, so the vibrations goes through to the ground and it gets pretty loud!!! (Luckily my neighbor below is super nice and I'll just get Mia to bring her chew onto the rug instead). If you can bring a little rug or towel with you and have your dog chew on it rather than directly on a hard floor that may soften the chewing noise.

She's a strong chewer so I get the extra strong one which lasts her quite a long time.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
How heavy of a chewer is your pup? If she isn't a heavy chewer a bully stick (or something similar), or some kind of jerkey or sweet potato chew might work.
Anything with a bone might be a little loud in a quite class room so maybe try a bone or two out outside of the class room and see how she does. If she's not too noisy then maybe a filled marrow bone or a antler could work.
Or you could try making some kongs.
Just curious so on wensdays your in class for 12 hours or is it multiple ones broken up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts