Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some recipes that will last a long time. As some of you may now I recently got a new dog, a mini American shepherd. And it seems that even though she is crate trained she's getting very anxious if left in her crate. She does the yelping sort of bark thing and the last couple of times she was crated she managed to push the crate back and chew up the corner of the blanket that was under the crate. So im hoping that a long lasting kong will distract her long enough while im gone. I go back to school in couple of weeks and with most of my classes I will be gone about 2-3 hours for each. However due to scheduling I also have two 5 hour classes (who ever though a 5 hour college level science class was a good idea :eyeroll:). The 5 hour classes are whats worrying me the most, she eats pretty slow (at least in comparison to Sawyer) so I think in general it should at least take her 2-3 hours to finish one kong, but im not sure about the other half of the 5 hours. Do you think there are any long lasting recipes that would last about 5 hours? Should I put more then one kong or a kong and something else on the longer days? What are you favorites that can last 2-3 hours?

It seems that thinks like a stuffed kong will hold her attention. I just tried giving her a empty marrow bone I stuffed with some of her dinner and peanut butter with some bread on the ends to keep the kibble from falling out. And shes been working on it for I think the last 10-30 minutes (I forgot to look at what time I gave it to her :eyeroll:). And there hasent been any whining or yelp barking. Comparing this to about a hour earlier when I tried giving her a treat and a marrow bone in the crate while I worked with Sawyer. She completely ignored the marrow bone and started getting anxious and barking.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So--while there are long-lasting ways to have treats last, but they are often the worst when leaving the dog alone. It's a choke hazard. There are better ways of dealing with separation anxiety than food.

Now I'm going to assume that you'll watch her--
What I'd do is fill the Kong with kibble, wet, let it absorb water, cap with peanutbutter and freeze. It will stay solid in the fleshy Kong for quite a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The bacon and chicken flavored nylon chew toys work well for us. The won't keep my dogs busy for 5 hours but I wouldn't leave them alone for long with much else.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I find all of the puzzle toys are not hard enough for my guys, they get everything out in under 10 minutes, but freezing has worked much better. It still doesn't take as long as I want, but it helps. I use peanut butter, yogurt, soup broth (low sodium/or no salt added) and cheese.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
279 Posts
Stuff with kibble and finely chopped chicken. Then pack in baked sweet potato as hard as possible, freeze.

Offal, if you don't cut it up,and squidge it in. Hours of fun right there.

Microwave cheese or peanut butter till it is,liquid . Dip bits of raw cauliflower or broccoli in so it gets absorbed into the flower bits. Stuff in Kong. The larger the bits the tougher.

Rice cooked in chicken broth. Chunks of chicken, again freeze.

I find complex starches seem to stay frozen longer.

A firm dog roll frozen.

Scrambled egg, Pumpkin, Cottage cheese or yoghurt. All of these frozen.,

Raw beef cut so it only just fits in, tough stringy cheap beef, frozen (this is my personal favorite, lasts hours)

If I get a hard cheese rind like at the end of the Parmesan I will save that and stuff surrounded by something, usually a thick homemade meat broth frozen, the heavy gelatin content makes it tougher to get out.

Very occasionally I will put in a pizza crust. I leave it out a day or so to get really hard. It's a rare treat thought. That gets wedged in, not frozen though as it will go soggy when it defrosts.

Layering with the best stuff at the end works well. Also stuffing bigger bits of food and turning sideways increases challenge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For hot days I freeze his kong toy in an ice cream tub full of water and chicken broth. Keeps him occupied for ages

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I find layering with different textures and freezing has been the best. Like a kibble/canned food/yogurt/carrot shavings/apple pieces/peanut butter/coconut oil/chicken combination, type of thing, but not blended-just layered. You can put pretty much anything that they will eat.
@Ems has great suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts