Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kimber and Kelsey both love the long white raw hide bones...Are there any bones out there similar they would like to chew but maybe wouldn't eat so quickly?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
How big are they that your giving them? I'd go for the same thing but much bigger :) That will take longer

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Kimber and Kelsey both love the long white raw hide bones...Are there any bones out there similar they would like to chew but maybe wouldn't eat so quickly?
ahhhh bones....there is a lot of disagreement about what to feed your dog, and what kind of bones to give...

rawhides are known for small pieces breaking off and causing choking, also for causing gas...personally i feel like the benefits of giving the dogs something to chew on out way the risks, but that is just my opinion....

bully sticks are recommended...but expensive...there are all sorts of dried out body parts being offered as chewies these days and they tend to be easier on the digestive system...(you can get a dozen bully sticks from costco for about $20, that is the cheapest i've found them) and they last much much longer than rawhide chews, but not forever...

they also sell hollow "sterilized" beef bones that you can stuff, and then the dog can chew on....and pre-cooked beef knuckles and things from the pet store...i personally think that these are way over priced for what you get, you could go to a butcher and get the same thing for way less and cook it yourself if you wanted to...but many people say that a cooked bone splinters and is dangerous

that brings me to my personal choice which is a raw meaty bone...i like the big beef knuckles, and they last quite a while, are really good for the dog's teeth and have some other health benefits...you do have to be careful to not feed them in the same time frame as the kibble tho....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I bought my first bully sticks (ouch expensive) because they were suppost to last up to two weeks....

uh no...I got 2-3 minutes out of them. Pigs ears lasted the same and were waaaay cheaper.

lol when you find som'thing that lasts, let me know :p

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
oh yeah, i forgot to mention...someone told me that you could now buy pieces of antler and that it is supposed to be really good, but i haven't tried it yet....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Mikey ate an approximately ten dollar bully stick in the time it took me to go tell Dave to come see what I got him...seriously it was gone right away.

They are supposed to be the safest bone-totally digestable...but WAY too pricey for me for that short check :p

I give Mikey raw bones sometimes too-and the nut STANDS to chew on them he likes them so much and doesn't stop until they are done (ie. swallowable size and I have to take it away and throw it out)-usually that's a good four hours chewing! :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
Has anyone tried the compressed rawhide bones? They're not as messy on my carpets. I forget the brand... I get them for Riley and I do know that they are made in New Jersey. Since he's a young Lab I have to keep him chewing when he's in his down mode or he would destroy something of ours. These seem to last the longest so far and they run about 5 dollars for a good large sized bone.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought 4 femur bones from Petsmart yesterday. Kimber was done in about 20 minutes and Kelsey's lasted about an hour. I would really like to find something that they can chew on but maybe not eat so quickly.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I bought 4 femur bones from Petsmart yesterday. Kimber was done in about 20 minutes and Kelsey's lasted about an hour. I would really like to find something that they can chew on but maybe not eat so quickly.
i suggested everything that i know of...if you find something tho, let me know! clover is a real chomper...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A YEAR!?:eek: Are you serious?

·
Registered
8 Posts
No kiddin..... My Rue Boy knarles about 4 to 6 hrs per day and they have held up to a year & more.
They can be a bit spending but they last.

Goo

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
The thing that turn many people away from the Galileo bone is that it's made of plastic, so it's technically a toy and shouldn't be ingested

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I see your point. So far we've gone thru 5 or 6 in about 5yrs and no problems. When chewed on I notice that as the bones get knarled down the dogs pick the whiskars off which are pretty small. They must pass right through the dogs though I've never actually seen them in their poo.

Goob

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
This chew works really great for Cannon. Star Mark Everlasting Treat Ball for Dogs - Toys - Dog - PetSmart I think it's the shape. He'll chew it for a good while too because of the treat part. It's one of the crate items we give him, and he usually falls asleep chewing it. :) He's a small dog (17 lbs), but goes through bully sticks in about an hour. We recently tried giving him a compressed rawhide bone, since other people suggested it, and he got the top part off in about 30 minutes, so we took that away... It's really hard to find him chewy items that are safe, last an hour or more and that he will chew daily. He loses interest in Nylabones after 5 minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can tell you right now that I'll be watching this thread, hoping someone finds the holy grail.

Asenath loves her rawhides and stuffed critters. She doesn't chew other things, so we like to give them to her. Sometimes they last a few weeks... and sometimes an hour. When we asked the employees at our favorite pet store, they told us to buy a bigger rawhide. But it doesn't last much longer.

I've looked at the Everlasting Treat Ball. Maybe I can convince DH to invest!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts