Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 13 week old choc lab. I know she cant go on long wlks or jogs yet but at what age wouls it be appropriate around 5 miles or so. Thanks.
Another thing i just thought of is swimming, is it too soon to start? Im not just going to throw her in, i was going to go to a lake somewhere with a beach. How much swimming is too much at this age.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took my puppy on short /medium length walks at that age and he loved it. (as long as he want's to go and isn't trying to sleep on the walks I think it's okay). I wouldn't go on 5 mile runs though until she is older though (I read somewhere that 18 months is okay to start). They're joints are still developing, so jumping and running could damage them.
My puppy is now 5 months old, and he can handle and enjoys long walks/short jogs.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
18-24 months is a good time to start jogging/running long distance because by that age all the growth is done. This is especially important to note if you're planning on running on cement, paved paths. Off leash running is fine, particularly in grassy areas as the dog can stop when they want.

Swimming is ok to start at any age, actually the earlier the better, because it's very easy on the joints. Just make sure all swimming is done in positive manner so the pup doesn't make any negative connects with it.

Have fun! Oh and enjoy the puppy hood, the labrador teen phase can be a doozy lol

Ps. Don't for get to provide pics! I love me a cute baby labrador!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I really want to stress that the surface is the key to making wise decisions on how long your dog can run.

Running on concrete sidewalks or asphalt roads are going to be inflicting the most jarring to your dog's growing joints because there is no 'give'.

Hard dirt surfaces would be next

Running on soft springy grass is best, and so is a good covering of new soft snow (not ice)

At age 4 months or 5 months a dog enters it's 'teen age years', gets adult teeth, and adult hormones start pumping. At this point I know sled dog people will run these teens a quarter mile on soft ground, going up to a half mile at age 6 months, and expanding from there as the dog ages.

IF the surface is grass or snow, I'd see no problem with running 5 miles with a 1 year old dog. It'd be very strongly against running that same distance with a 1 year old dog on cement sidewalks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. unfortunately i have no grassy surfaces around. The best i have is dirt. But winter is coming (haha not referencing game of thrones) but shell be about 6 months at that point so would that be a good time to take her on aome trails in the woods?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, my lab Hummer is now 2 years old. He loves the outdoors and we started taking him out for walks around the hood when he was just a little over 1 year old but my husband didn't started to take him on runs when he was already one year and a half. We're just lucky that he liked it so we never really had problems with it. We just had to make sure that he stays hydrated especially during summertime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.