Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering adding another addition to the house hold.

I am set on a second West Highland White Terrier. I am a fan of the breeds character. The minimal shedding and the grooming is not a big concern. I am looking for a little female. I am looking into finding the right responsible breeder because I am looking to avoid major health concerns (and skin issues) in the breed.

There was a magazine that I use to purchase that had a breeder directory. When I looked into them I found majority to be good breeders. Think I could find this magazine again? No! Grr.

So my question is, does anyone have a breeder recommendation for West Highlands in Ontario? I am very picky when it comes to breeders. If no, does anyone know of the Canadian magazine I am talking about?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the Belleville to Kingston ON area (I travel back and forth between both cities).

So far I have managed to find a breeder in Madoc, which is not far from Belleville ON. I have not heard back from this breeder yet about up-coming 2012 litters. I have also found two other breeders one two hours west of Toronto that I communicate with via e-mail and one in Conn but I am a little skeptical about this last one. They seem responsible but they are over-kill ...it's in the health guarentee and contract you have to continue feeding a certain diet etc.

I did find a couple others but they are much higher on the price end and I am willing to go that far but we shall see. I am trying to look into the different lines right now, get a connection established with each breeder and see who fits my version of a responsible breeder most.

If you do know of any, I would be happy to hear about them. I don't mind travelling in province to visit a breeder.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm in the Mississauga/Toronto area. I'll see if I can find any reputable breeders around my area or closer to you. I'll keep you updated when I find one!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!

I heard back from the breeder in Madoc, and she sounds wonderful, although having only one female she does not breed often. There are no planned litters for 2012 since there are not yet enough homes that she deems acceptable. I am on a waiting list with her in the meantime, as well as exploring other breeders.

Kozo Reg'd Westies is another breeder I have been e-mailing back and forth with and I am certainly happy with the information that has been provided so far. There is a litter expected later this month even though it is sooner then I had planned. The pup would be ready to come home right at the same time I would be starting a new job - not ideal but an option and a lovely breeder.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So far I can't find any good quality breeders. They all seemed focused on physical appearances rather than health and good genetics. At-least the ones with available websites ( so far). I've spotted some contact listings but no sites or any other info available to look at except their contact info.

In either case I'm glad you've found a couple of contacts so far!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the help!

I've been brain storming different names.

For a little female I've considered: Lily, Abbie (Abigail), Alice, Zoe, Elena

A little male: Damon, Hamish, Emmett ... could not brainstorm too many male names but I'm lovin' Hamish.

I can't decide till I bring the fella home but if anyone has cute name suggestions. I'd love to hear them. I feel like I'm about to name a kid!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The breeder is decided on and a deposit has been placed for a puppy from this litter. Fingers crossed! Everything is prepared and deep breath I can do this!

·
Registered
111 Posts
The breeder is decided on and a deposit has been placed for a puppy from this litter. Fingers crossed! Everything is prepared and deep breath I can do this!
I'm so happy for you! Now we really are on the same boat! Cheers to the both of us for getting our puppy!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tada!

I got a bunch of pictures of the litter from the breeder today so I thought I'd post a couple. I love the little fella with its paws on the edge. Cute! I melted in side when I opened the e-mail at work today.

I am taking a weekend off at the end of the month to go choose my new little companion. It won't come fast enough!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Little snowballs with black noses, how cute!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very excited for you! :) I am getting a Sheltie puppy at the beginning of April; the breeder has been sending me regular updates too, and they are so exciting. Congrats!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congratz on the little Sheltie!

I travelled the incredible long distance this weekend to visit these little bundles of joy! What a long day it turned out to be (almost 5 hours one way!) but worth it. I picked a the smaller of the two females. I don't have any pictures ready to post since they are all on my phone.

I spent a lot of time with each individual dog. The males were all quiet, sat very still when being held but were not very affectionate toward me. The larger female was somewhat affectionate but did not want to be held long. The little female I chose was VERY affectionate when I picked her up and she was a very gentle chewer on my fingers. She did get fussy after a while but she just wanted to explore with her litter and take a much deserved nap.

To get an idea of which one, in my last post with pictures, the very last picture of the litter she is the second puppy in on the right hand side. She has a small unpigmented spot on the left side of her nose. The breeder says this will change. If it doesn't she won't be "breed standard" but I think it makes her unique!

I am still at a loss for names.

It has been narrowed down to:
- Lily
- Layla
- Ava

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh goodness! I'm so excited for you! Congratulations on picking your little female! I agree, I think the little spot on her nose makes her extra special just for you! All girl names are cute. I guess whatever you think fits her better and what it will be like calling her. Personally I like Ava and Lily. This is how I picture it: Ava for a more adventurous, loyal girl. Lilly for a sweet, gentle and polite girl. Just my opinion of course lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts