Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! first things first i wanna say thank you for the support that you guys gave me on my previous post about puppy blues, i am happy to say that i am over it.

Now, i am desperate because of something that happened today: She ate something from the garbage and me, thinking she had eaten the cockroachs poison, took her to the vet. The vet started to give her medication to make her throw up but she was not throwing up so she continued with the medication but did not give her a super high dose cause she did not think that the problem vas a poison. Eventually, my dog threw up and we discovered she had eaten a burguer separator .... so she put her on observation for about two hours with serum and liver protection and gastric protector.... She realased her to go back home and gave me instructions about her diet for the next 48 hours.

She was fine, she ate what the vet told me, popped right and solid, went pee, ran arround the house, jumped on me and my family... until an hour back she throwed up again... i called the vet and she said no solid food until we see her tomorrow morning.... the thing is she throewd up again like 10 minutes ago and i am super scared cause i have no idea if this is either the medication she gave her to induce vomiting (which she said should not make her vomit again) or the food we were told to give her (chicken and rice) which she ate very happy and very quickly too... or maybe that she was able to go out to the street this week for the first time and she ate something there,... i have no clue...

I want her to be okay, this is my first dog and i am blaming myself for every little thing she does and constantly worried that she will get sick...

Please please please, any idea of what maybe going on? cause i cannot wait 12 more hours knowing nothing at all.. so.. any ideas on what maybe going on here?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,775 Posts
I'm so sorry that your girl is going through that! Don't blame yourself, the little scamps are very fast and can get into things you'd never dream they could. I've owned dogs for over 20 years and a couple months back I was on the phone with my vet, then human poison control, then pet poison control, because my 9 lb brat decided it'd be a good idea to lick rust dissolver at 2AM....

With your girl it could be so many things, I don't know what a burguer separator is, was there more then one, because the first thing I'd be wondering if there was was if she'd gotten both of them. Her stomach could be upset from the new food.

The only advice I can give you is what I'd do if she was mine. The first thing is I'd not feed her anything else for at least 12 hours, if she can handle it (mine can't) I'd go 24 hours. That's to give her stomach time to settle down and heal. I'd still be offering small amounts no more then 1/8 of a cup of water every hour for the first 6 hours and if she did good with it then I'd just leave the water out. Sometimes water can cause them to throw up if there stomach is upset and they drink too much at once, but you want to offer the water to prevent dehydration. During that time if she started throwing up frequently and acting sick I'd be on the phone with the emergency vet if it was after the vet closed asking what to do. If it was during office hours I'd be calling to let them know I was bringing her in. If there was no vomiting then at the end of the 12 to 24 hours I'd start offering a teaspoon of her food every 30 min for the first 2 or 3 hours, and see how she handles it. If she doesn't get sick then up the amount given to a couple tablespoons and wait an hour or so before giving her the rest of the food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
I cant offer any expert advice but I hear your pain... A month or so ago Murphy started throwing up just small amounts but it was every 10 minutes or so.. Then he sharted shaking and appeared wobbly on his feet. Quick call to the vet and they said bring him in..

He hadnt pooped for over 12 hours so the vet was scared it could be a blockage and as it was Friday they didnt want to leave anything to chance so we did an xray which showed no foriegn body.. (big sigh of relief) he had meds to stop the vomiting and antibiotics. We let him fast until the following morning,( about 16hours) giving the meds time to work and his system time to recover and then gave him only half his normal breakfast which he kept down then later gave him the other half which also stayed down..

From then on it was a straight recovery but that moment when he was shaking and the vet said it might be a blackage... OMG cold sweats and shakes for me...
I hope your little one recovers well but sometimes waiting is the hardest thing even though it is the only thing we can do.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top