Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have taken in a litter of almost 4 week old pups, because the owner said either we take them or he would 'take care of it himself' as he couldnt afford to look after them. I have had them for almost 24 hours now, and so far only one of them has pooped. After every meal I have been trying to stimulate them to poop by gently wiping their bums with a damp wet towel, but so far nothing. The one that did poop did it on his own without any stimulation needed. I have been feeding them on puppy milk replacement every 6 hours (this is approx how often they wake up anyway), and they have no problems weeing either. Am I worrying about nothing, or should I take them to the vet? Or is there something else I need to be doing to help them go?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I would take them to the vets anyways just to make sure there all set and they have no medical issues, especially since the didn't come from the best of places.
@LoveMyFosters would be a great resource for puppy rearing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
you sure puppys are 4 weeks old? Should be peeing and pooping on their own for at least a week by now. There should be little reason to feed them milk replacer at that age, either (puppies at 3 weeks can usually eat gruel or canned puppy food on their own). To stimulate a puppy to defecate usually takes more than a wipe or two from a moist towel... can take up to several solid minutes of constant, gentle, warm, moist stimulation (usually a wet, gloved finger works best- less irritating that a cotton ball or towel).

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
So I have taken in a litter of almost 4 week old pups, because the owner said either we take them or he would 'take care of it himself' as he couldnt afford to look after them. I have had them for almost 24 hours now, and so far only one of them has pooped. After every meal I have been trying to stimulate them to poop by gently wiping their bums with a damp wet towel, but so far nothing. The one that did poop did it on his own without any stimulation needed. I have been feeding them on puppy milk replacement every 6 hours (this is approx how often they wake up anyway), and they have no problems weeing either. Am I worrying about nothing, or should I take them to the vet? Or is there something else I need to be doing to help them go?
4 week old puppies can potty on their own. Are you absolutely certain they haven't gone potty? As gross as it is, puppies do hit a stage where they will eat their siblings poop if given the chance. Were you present when the one pup pooped? If so, did he seem to have any trouble doing so?

Do the puppies have access to water?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first thought would be worms. All pups need to be wormed on a regular basis, and the previous owner doesn't sound like he was the type to be fastidious with caring for the litter. Most pet store bought wormers are beyond worthless, and since pups need to be wormed at least once a week until 10-12 weeks, the Vet might be a bit costly. A tube of Panacur for horses works better than anything, but be very careful about the dosage. The entire tube will worm over a dozen adult dogs.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've never raised a young pup, but did bottle-raise a 10 day old cat. Turned out the milk replacer was too rich and he became constipated, not pooping for days. The vet suggested I add a little bit of heavy mineral oil to the milk replacer...and lo and behold, he started going quite regularly and a more normal amount as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts