Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go to work Cosmo stays with my grandparents during the day. He has since he was a tiny puppy and it's always been fine - however last night when I got back from work he ran to me - still excited, but on three legs :( He refused to put any weight on it and will sometimes reach back and lick it and grab at it. I asked my family if he had been anywhere or if something happened but they said no and they didn't know what happened. Apparently they hadn't noticed anything before I commented, which is alarming because clearly something happened and I was a bit irritated he wasn't being watched a little closer but accidents happen so I guess I understand. Upset though!

I gave it a night to see if he would get better because my vet was closed and today he has made no improvements and even appears worse. I'm taking him in now to get examined and possible xrays so I'll keep you guys posted on what goes on. I just hope he's okay and didn't seriously damage his muscles, plates, or bones :(

My poor puppy!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I have not, should I ask my vet about that?

We have finally been seen, they were busy so it was about an hour and a half wait time but he's currently in the back getting X-rays. They pinpointed the pain and it's coming from his upper leg / hip area I believe.

He is very stranger danger and doesn't take kindly to being grabbed and poked by strangers so they were unable to get his temperature and had to take him in the back to be examined where he could be properly held and didn't have me to hide behind. They may need to sedate him for xrays so I'm waiting for information on that. Depends on how he behaves.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Xrays went well he let them take them, so no unnecessary sedation. The xrays in his hips and knee caps came back beautifully and all of his plates are perfect so she determined it's soft tissue damage. We are leaving with some Tramadol anti inflammatory medicine and we were told to rest for 2-3 weeks which is going to be a challenge because he's very active and gets a bit neurotic with little exercise :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Xrays went well he let them take them, so no unnecessary sedation. The xrays in his hips and knee caps came back beautifully and all of his plates are perfect so she determined it's soft tissue damage. We are leaving with some Tramadol anti inflammatory medicine and we were told to rest for 2-3 weeks which is going to be a challenge because he's very active and gets a bit neurotic with little exercise :(

Ahh, well that is good news, even though you're presented the challenge of keeping him calm and rested. Luxating patellas can require surgery if they are severe, so comparatively, this is a better outcome. :) Hope your boy is feeling better soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts