Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old mini golden doodle and about 2 dys ago she would not walk on her right hind leg after getting up from laying.

Once she walks for a few minutes, she then starts to walk, run, jump with a subtle favoring of the leg to the point where I would not notice if she did not favor it to begin with.

I can not find anything on her paw, palpating her leg does not cause any pain, and physically looks/acts fine.

I did a google search and could not find a reason for favoring her hind leg that appears to get better as she walks.

Any idea about this?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Since she will probably walk into the Vet perfectly sound I would take a video of how she walks when she first gets up which might help the Vet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our Bernese Mtn. dog started limping also. He wasn't in obvious pain (no whining or yelping), we couldn't see any cuts and his paw was clear. We didn't notice any swelling either. After a few days of it not improving we took him to the vet. She did some physical checks and thought it might be an ACL issue. After some x-rays and confirmed it was a strained ACL.

He's on anti inflammatory / pain meds for a couple weeks. The vet thinks if he can stay away from heavy exertion (good luck!) it might heal, but will probably always be an issue. The other option is surgery.

The moral of the story is get a professional opinion at a vet. The sooner the better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 6 month old mini golden doodle and about 2 dys ago she would not walk on her right hind leg after getting up from laying.

Once she walks for a few minutes, she then starts to walk, run, jump with a subtle favoring of the leg to the point where I would not notice if she did not favor it to begin with.

I can not find anything on her paw, palpating her leg does not cause any pain, and physically looks/acts fine.

I did a google search and could not find a reason for favoring her hind leg that appears to get better as she walks.

Any idea about this?
Hi - I'm new here but my border collie has been doing the same type of thing. Did you take your fur baby in to the vet? I'm worried my girl has arthritis. She's only 5 but arthritis has become such a chronic issue for dogs and it seems to be the simplest explanation for what's going on.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Ours intermittently favors her left front leg, and has for years. Vet can't really find anything, she will limp for a few days, then not at all for months and months, then again for a few days or sometimes even a couple of weeks. She doesn't let it interfere with anything she wants to do, we have stopped worrying about it, at least for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been doing A LOT of research into alternative and holistic treatments for dogs with arthritis and other chronic conditions. I actually am going to try a product called Buddy Custard. It's only got 4 ingredients; cottage cheese, flax seed oil, stevia and peanut butter. There is also an original formula that's the same but unflavored. There are a lot of studies that show this method of converting Flax Seed Oil so it's water based and can be absorbed into the body is really successful. There is a huge amount of scientific data on their website, www.buddycustard.com, some of it is very technical, I emailed the company with some questions about specific studies so that I will understand it all a little better. I'll let you know what I find out and how this works for my fur baby!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi there. I have had my fair share of limpies. I am not a vet or a vet tech. Also, possibly could be lymes.

Some big take aways I found with injuries is that little doggie legs can be delicate. A breeder taught me that. Makes sense seeing how dog steps are most important in a show dog. Think gait. Check out the book. Dog Steps.

My take aways: 1). Not let the dog off the leash unsupervised. 2). Not allow the dog jump up on really high surfaces. Especially if they are older. 3). Immediately when I noticed a limp, i curtailed activity using the crate for rest. 4). I either applied an ice pack to the suspected area, or used the hose to run water over the affected limb. About five minutes a couple times a day. After the dog has been exercising hard. 5) only take them out for short walks for elimination during healing, which takes about 2-6 weeks, per episode. 6). I have successfully used arnica Montana 30x also for pain management. Usually I did all of the above things after I found out from the vet what the problem was. If it’s a soft tissue injury that somtimes reoccurs. 7). I have to say, chiropractic treatment for the dog is one of the best wholistic things I could have discovered. As well as a machine called a magna wave. Helped with injuries, shorten duration. I also tried not wait too long before i went to the vet, the longer the injury goes undetected, the longer it will take to heal and the worse it may get, keeping the dog quiet is most important for healing. Maybe this information will help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts